• We’re expecting partly sunny skies today, with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms and a northwest wind 5 to 7 miles per hour, becoming southwest in the afternoon. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 67. We’re expecting mostly sunny skies on Thursday, with a high near 86 degrees and a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Friday will be partly sunny, with a high near 86 and a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.
• The majority of the Suffolk County Legislature voted against letting voters have their say on the Water Quality Restoration Act, which would provide money for improved sewers and septic systems funded by an 1/8 cent sales tax, on June 21. The legislature has one more chance to agree to put a referendum on the issue on the November ballot, at its meeting next Tuesday, July 25 at 2 p.m. in Hauppauge. Southold resident Maggie Merrill weighs in on the issue in a letter to The Beacon this week.
• The Southampton Town Board will hold a special meeting tomorrow, July 20 at 11 a.m. to consider a six-month moratorium on Battery Energy Storage System proposals, which would include a controversial BESS system near the Shinnecock Canal in Hampton Bays. We’ll have more details shortly.
• The Southold Town Board will likely hear a presentation this August from developers looking to build a 36-unit housing complex on the Main Road in Cutchogue. Read More.
• Southbound will perform a free concert at Cooper’s Beach in Southampton Village this evening at 6:30 p.m. and Evan & James perform at the Southold Summer Showcase Concert Series at the gazebo at Silversmith’s Corner (Main Road & Youngs Ave) at 7:30 p.m.
• Movies at The Suffolk in Riverhead presents “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” this evening at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 and are available at thesuffolk.org.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:51 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:59 a.m., 11:15 p.m.
Greenport: 12:01 a.m., 12:28 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:51 a.m., 1:22 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:23 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:23 a.m., 1:50 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:30 a.m., 1:57 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:02 a.m., 11:03 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:11 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:07 a.m., 12:36 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:44 a.m., 11:56 p.m.
Greenport: 12:44 a.m., 1:13 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:30 a.m., 2 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:39 a.m., 1:08 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:06 a.m., 2:35 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:13 a.m., 2:42 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:43 a.m., 11:40 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:52 a.m., 9:49 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.