• Today will be sunny, with a high near 86 degrees and a light southwest wind, increasing to 8 to 13 miles per hour in the morning. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 68. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 86. We’re expecting mostly sunny skies this weekend, with a high near 92 on Saturday and near 89 on Sunday.
• The Long Island Power Authority’s Board of Trustees has delayed its meeting scheduled for yesterday, at which the board was expected to approve the purchase of 90 megawatts of electricity from a new offshore wind farm proposed off the coast of Montauk, due to a soon-to-be-released NYSERDA study on offshore wind. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Riverhead Town is asking residents to adopt odd/even watering schedules throughout the next few hot days — if your house has an odd number, water your lawn on odd days, and if it has an even number, water on even days. The Suffolk County Water Authority has been asking residents to voluntarily adopt this watering pattern since before the beginning of the summer. More information is online here.
• New York State Assemblyman Fred Thiele has released a letter outlining numerous agreements made by the Long Island Rail Road in a closed-door meeting with East End lawmakers in Riverhead on July 8, including expanded South Fork commuter service and year-round weekend service for the North Fork. Our full story is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss council members’ projects at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here. The Riverhead Town Board’s Thursday morning work session has been cancelled.
• The East Hampton Town Board will hold numerous public hearings on Community Preservation Fund acquisitions at their 6:30 p.m. meeting tonight. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Village of Greenport will host the annual Skate Park Festival at the village skate park on Moore’s Lane this Sunday, July 24 from noon to 5 p.m.
• The Southold Town Anti-Bias Task Force has announced that they will host their seventh annual Unity Picnic on Saturday, Aug. 13 from noon to 4 p.m. at the Peconic Community Center on Peconic Lane. The free event includes hot dogs, hamburgers and beverages and live music, entertainment, games for children and door prizes. Everyone is welcome to attend.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 10:52 a.m., 11:01 p.m.
Orient: 11:53 a.m.
GPT: 12:21 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 12:16 p.m.
S. JPT: 1:16 a.m., 1:50 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 8:51 a.m., 9:05 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 11:36 a.m., 11:46 p.m.
Orient: 12:02 a.m., 12:37 p.m.
GPT: 12:30 a.m., 1:05 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 12:25 a.m., 1 p.m.
S. JPT: 1:59 a.m., 2:34 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 9:36 a.m., 9:51 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.