• Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 81 degrees and a southeast wind 10 to 15 miles per hour. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 9 p.m., with an overnight low around 75. There’s a 60 percent chance of rain Wednesday and Thursday, with highs near 80 degrees both days.
• There’s a high risk of rip currents at the East End’s ocean beaches through this evening. The National Weather Service recommends swimmers swim near a lifeguard, and, if caught in a rip current, attempt to swim parallel to the shore, not directly against the current.
• Southold affordable housing advocate Rona Smith has received the Suffolk County Democratic Party’s backing to run for the North Fork’s New York State Assembly seat this fall. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• North Fork Environmental Council board member Mark Haubner is inviting the public to learn the nuts and bolts of creating a native plant garden in his Aquebogue garden this Friday, July 27 at 6 p.m. For more details, email email@example.com.
• Greenport’s Congregation Tifereth Israel’s annual Catch A Star luncheon will be held this Thursday, July 26 at noon at Porto Bello restaurant in Greenport. This year’s program will be “Words and Music” with poet Joe McKay and composer George Cork Maul. Tickets are $40 can be reserved by contacting event chair Paula Shengold at op31@optonline.
• Today is the last day to sign up as a subscriber to The Beacon’s print edition in time to receive the August edition in your mailbox. You’ll read many of these stories in print before you find them here!
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:19 a.m., 8:36 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:27 a.m., 7:44 p.m.
Greenport: 8:56 a.m., 9:13 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:51 a.m., 10:06 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:51 a.m., 9:08 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:18 a.m., 10:35 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:25 a.m., 10:42 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:18 a.m., 7:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:27 a.m., 5:52 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:03 a.m., 9:19 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:11 a.m., 8:27 p.m.
Greenport: 9:40 a.m., 9:56 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:38 a.m., 10:50 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:35 a.m., 9:51 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:02 a.m., 11:18 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:09 a.m., 11:25 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:09 a.m., 8:28 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:18 a.m., 6:37 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.