This Morning’s Bulletin — 7.9.18
• We’re expecting sunny skies today, with a high near 82 degrees and light and variable winds becoming south 5 to 10 miles per hour in the morning. It will be clear overnight, with a low around 61. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 87, and Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 82 and a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.
• Southampton Town has the second greatest value of real estate vulnerable to regular flooding by 2045 in the United States due to sea level rise, according to a new report titled “Underwater” issued by the Union of Concerned Scientists, second only to Miami Beach. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• It’s not as difficult as you might think to see the world around you with fresh eyes. Sometimes all it takes is a conversation with a stranger, or an interaction with art that takes your familiar surroundings and transforms them into a magical world. Our take on the arts on the East End, the focus of our Summer Arts Edition on newsstands now, is online here.
• The Flanders Fire Department at 19 Firehouse Lane in Flanders is hosting an emergency community blood drive this afternoon and evening from 2 to 8 p.m. Blood is urgently needed to counteract a summer blood shortage.
• The Accabonac Protection Committee will host a forum on the health of Accabonac Harbor tomorrow, Tuesday, June 10 at 5:30 p.m. at Ashawagh Hall in Springs. More details are online here.
• The Peconic Landing Ukulele Club will give a free concert titled “Pluck” next Sunday, July 15 at 1 p.m. at Poquatuck Hall in Orient. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:04 a.m., 7:30 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:12 a.m., 6:38 p.m.
Greenport: 7:41 a.m., 8:07 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:32 a.m., 8:50 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:36 a.m., 8:02 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:03 a.m., 9:29 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:10 a.m., 9:36 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:05 a.m., 4:35 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:55 a.m., 8:18 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:03 a.m., 7:26 p.m.
Greenport: 8:32 a.m., 8:55 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:29 a.m., 9:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:27 a.m., 8:50 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:54 a.m., 10:17 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:01 a.m., 10:24 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:10 a.m., 5:34 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.