This Morning’s Bulletin — 8.15.16

Sunrise, Great Peconic
Sunrise, Great Peconic

Good Morning!

• As you may have guessed, this weekend’s heat was record-breaking. The National Weather Service’s monitoring station at Brookhaven National Laboratory reported a record high of 93 degrees at 1:02 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 13. The previous record high was 92 degrees in 2002. NWS also reported a record high of 97 degrees at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 14. The previous record of 89 degrees was set in 2005.

• We are currently also experiencing moderate to severe drought conditions, according to NWS, which reports a deficit of four inches of rainfall “across parts of Suffolk County” during the month of July. On the East End, NWS reports a deficit of 2.89 inches of rain in Riverhead and a deficit of 2.38 inches in Mattituck in the month of July.

• We’re in for more heat and humidity today. The National Weather Service is reporting that it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 87 degrees with a north wind around 7 miles per hour, becoming west in the afternoon. They’re anticipating a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 a.m. tonight, with a low around 71. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Tuesday, with a high of 86. Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 89 and a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.

• Across the East End over the past week-and-a-half, environmentalists have rallied in support of a ballot proposition that would extend the Peconic Bay Region Community Preservation Fund to 2050, and would allow the five East End town governments to use 20 percent of the money generated by the fund for water quality projects. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• In related news, the U.S. EPA is hosting a public forum tomorrow, Tuesday, Aug. 16 at 6 p.m. at the Riverhead Free Library, on its Health Impact Assessment of Suffolk County’s proposed code changes for onsite sewage disposal systems. This is one of four public forums scheduled on the topic this week in Suffolk County, but it is the only one on the East End. Our coverage of their last public forum is online here.

• The Southampton and Hampton Bays rotary clubs have launched a campaign to install lifesaving stations along the Shinnecock Canal, and they’ll be holding a benefit for that effort at Oaklands in Hampton Bays on Sept. 22. More information is online here.

Out & About

• The Bridgehampton Chamber Music Festival hosts a concert of unfinished pieces titled “Unfinished Business” at the Parrish Art Museum this afternoon at 4:30 p.m. in conjunction with the museum’s current exhibition of the same name. More information is online here. [$35]

The Lone Sharks will play a free concert on the Montauk Green tonight at 6 p.m. and Winston Irie will perform in Greenport’s Mitchell Park tonight at 7:30 p.m. as part of several free summer music series throughout the East End. Also, the Village of Westhampton Beach hosts a free screening of “The Pink Panther” on the Great Lawn tonight at sunset.

• Several East End nature organizations are holding great group kayaking events this week, beginning with a tour of Shelter Island’s Coecles Harbor with the Peconic Estuary Program tomorrow morning, Aug. 16. Find out all the details in The Peconic Bathtub, online here.

• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.

August 15
MTK Hbr: 7:32 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
Orient: 8:33 a.m., 8:49 p.m.
GPT: 9:01 a.m., 9:17 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 8:56 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
S. JPT: 10:30 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 5:26 a.m., 5:48 p.m.

August 16
MTK Hbr: 8:13 a.m., 8:28 p.m.
Orient: 9:14 a.m., 9:29 p.m.
GPT: 9:42 a.m., 9:57 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 9:37 a.m., 9:52 p.m.
S. JPT: 11:11 a.m., 11:26 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 6:15 a.m., 6:34 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young

Beth Young has been covering the East End since the 1990s. In her spare time, she runs around the block, tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: