Protection for Sale, Southold
Protection for Sale, Southold

Good Morning!

• There will be patchy fog before 9 a.m. today, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 84 degrees and a southeast wind 7 to 11 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms tonight, mainly after 3 a.m., which could produce heavy rain. Tomorrow, there’s a 70 percent chance of rain, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 83 degrees. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers on Saturday and a 40 percent chance of showers Sunday, but otherwise this weekend is expected to be partly sunny, with highs in the low to mid-80s.

• The East Hampton Town Board will hold public hearings on requiring mechanical counting at night clubs, prohibiting bedrooms in cellars, and on the South Flora Nature Preserve Management Plan at their 6:30 p.m. meeting tonight. Their full agenda is online here.

• The Riverhead Town Board will hear a presentation from the town’s Anti-Bias Task Force and discuss the town’s solar code, Polish Town zoning and visibility at intersections at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.

• Tonight at the Suffolk County Historical Museum in Riverhead at 6 p.m., meet local historian and author Richard F. Welch, who will discuss his book, An Island’s Trade: Nineteenth-Century Shipbuilding on Long Island. Welch will take attendees on an exploration of Long Island’s most important shipbuilders and shipbuilding villages–including Greenport, Port Jefferson, Setauket, and Northport–during the industry’s rise and eventual decline. More information is online here. [$5/members free]

• Author and professor Carlos Eire, National Book Award winner for his non-fiction work “Waiting for Snow in Havana” and Dan Rosenheck, former Latin American bureau chief of The Economist, will hold a discussion on Cuba at the Southampton Arts Center tonight at 6 p.m. More information is online here. [Free]

• Tonight at 7 p.m., the Flanders, Riverside Northampton Community Association will hold its second movie night fundraiser, “Despicable Me 2,” at the Crohan Community Center in Flanders. [$5/$4 members]

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

 

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: