• The oppressive heat of the past few weeks has finally broken. Today will be sunny, with a high near 82 degrees and a northwest wind 11 to 18 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 28.Tonight will be clear, with a low around 57. Tomorrow will be sunny, with a high near 79 and Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 83.
• The Suffolk County Health Department confirmed on Aug. 19 that cyanobacteria blooms, more commonly known as blue–green algae, have been found in Niger Pond in Calverton, the Peconic River in Riverhead, and Mecox Bay in Southampton. An Aug. 12 sampling also found algae blooms in Lake Marion in East Marion and Hook Pond in East Hampton. Due to these findings, health officials are asking residents not to use or swim or wade in these waters and to keep their pets and children away. More information from the state DEC on this and other East End algae blooms is online here.
• Southold and Riverhead’s town supervisors and Congressman Lee Zeldin will be meeting with Federal Aviation Administration officials about the North Shore helicopter route this morning, and will be holding a press conference about the meeting at Riverhead Town Hall at 12:45 p.m. We’ll have more information this afternoon.
•The Peconic Estuary Program is looking for help from the public in planning future protection of the Peconic Bays, through a special meeting at Stony Brook Southampton’s Marine Science Center tonight at 5 p.m. and through an online survey here. Read the full story in our sister publication, The Peconic Bathtub, online here.
• The North Fork Audubon Society is hosting “Birds and Brunch,” a benefit screening of the critically acclaimed and important film “The Messenger” on Sunday, Aug. 28 at noon at the Greenport Theater. More information is online here. [$25-$30]
• Dirty Organic performs a free concert on the Montauk Green tonight at 6 p.m. and the Pamela Betti Band performs a free concert in Greenport’s Mitchell Park tonight at 7:30 p.m. as part of several free outdoor summer concert series on the East End. [Free]
• The Hamptons Institute at Guild Hall in East Hampton hosts a panel discussion on the U.S. Supreme Court tonight at 7 p.m. More information is online here. [$25]
• The Village of Westhampton Beach hosts a free screening of “Mamma Mia!” on the village’s Great Lawn at dusk today. More information is online here. [Free]
MTK Hbr: 12:12 a.m., 12:45 p.m.
Orient: 1:13 a.m., 1:46 p.m.
GPT: 1:41 a.m., 2:14 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 1:36 a.m., 2:09 p.m.
S. JPT: 3:10 a.m., 3:43 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 10:55 a.m., 11:20 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 1:05 a.m., 1:40 p.m.
Orient: 2:06 a.m., 2:41 p.m.
GPT: 2:34 a.m., 3:09 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 2:29 a.m., 3:04 p.m.
S. JPT: 4:03 a.m., 4:38 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 11:51 a.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.