• There’s a 30 percent chance of rain today, mainly after 2 p.m., but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 68 degrees and an east wind 14 to 18 miles per hour. There’s a 60 percent chance of rain overnight, mainly between 8 p.m. and 3 a.m., with a low around 60. There’s a 30 percent chance of morning rain Wednesday, clearing throughout the day, with a high near 73. Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 79 and a 30 percent chance of rain after 5 p.m.
• The high risk of rip current on the East End’s ocean beaches is expected to continue through Wednesday, with high surf of 6 to 9 feet expected tonight into Wednesday, which could cause some localized dune erosion.
• The Southold Town Board will hear updates from its environmental analyst, on storm damage to the police dispatch room and on a solar project at the town’s animal shelter, will see a video on affordable housing, and hear an update on road resurfacing projects at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. The board has no public hearings scheduled for its 7:30 p.m. public meeting. The full agenda for both meetings is online here.
• If weather permits, the Suffolk County Department of Public Works plans treat sections of Manorville and Calverton by helicopter in order to control the breeding of adult mosquitoes, in response to the confirmation on August 24 that a mosquito sample from Manorville tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis virus. The spraying of sumithrin, is expected to be conducted along streets from River Road/Grumman Blvd. to South River Road and along the Long Island Rail Road tracks from Princeton Ave. to Railroad Ave. on Wednesday evening, Aug. 30, from 7 p.m. to midnight. For more details, contact the Suffolk County Division of Vector Control at 631.852.4270.
• The Neo-Political Cowgirls bring their summer production of “Andromeda,” the tale of a mother and daughter lost in a foreign land, to the Montauk County Park this evening, Aug. 29 through Sunday, Sept. 3 at 7 p.m. More details are online here. Read the Beacon’s account last year of the making of “Andromeda” online here.
• The Gong Show Off Broadway comes to Guild Hall tonight at 8 p.m. as part of its pre-Broadway tour. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.