Good Morning!

• It will be mostly sunny today, with a high temperature near 75 degrees and a northeast wind around 8 miles per hour, becoming southeast in the afternoon. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers after midnight, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 65. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 77 degrees and a 50 percent chance of showers. Wednesday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 79 degrees and a 30 percent chance of showers before noon.

• Suffolk County reported 51 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Sunday, with .7 percent of people tested testing positive. The county also announced there are now 100 free Covid testing sites throughout the county. Find them online here. Thirty-seven people are currently hospitalized with the virus in Suffolk, with seven in ICU. One more death from the virus was reported over the weekend, with the death toll in Suffolk now reaching 2,002 people.

• Members and supporters of the Shinnecock Nation are asking residents to email the Southampton Town Clerk in support of a Graves Protection Act and a moratorium on development in areas known to contain Native American graves by the written submission deadline for the legislative record, which is tomorrow, Sept. 1 at 5 p.m. to or

• Southold Town Supervisor Scott Russell, a Republican, and Suffolk County Legislator Al Krupski of Cutchogue, a Democrat and former member of the Southold Town Board, are urging Southolders to respect political signs popping up throughout town, and to attempt to show compassion for their neighbors’ varied political beliefs. The two lawmakers issued a joint statement Friday.

• The East Hampton Group for Good Government is airing a Zoom debate between candidates for the East Hampton Village Board on LTV beginning tomorrow at 10:30 p.m., and they’re asking anyone who would like to ask a question of the five candidates to email their questions to David Driscoll is running on the Fish Hooks Party line; Ray Harden and Richard Lawler are running with the Elms Party and Sandra Melendez, and Chris Minardi are running with the New Town Party.

• Our September edition hits more than 80 newsstands throughout the East End today. A single copy costs just $1 and supports much of the work we do! Here’s where to find it.

• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

August 31
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:12 a.m., 9:33 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:20 a.m., 8:41 p.m.
Greenport: 9:49 a.m., 10:10 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:51 a.m., 11:09 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:44 a.m., 10:05 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:11 a.m., 11:32 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:18 a.m., 11:39 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:29 a.m., 8:47 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet:6:38 a.m., 6:56 p.m.

September 1
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:54 a.m., 10:14 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:02 a.m., 9:22 p.m.
Greenport: 10:31 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:34 a.m., 11:52 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:26 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:53 a.m.
South Jamesport: Noon
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:13 a.m., 9:28 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:22 a.m., 7:37 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: