• Today will be sunny, with a high near 81 degrees and a calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 8 miles per hour in the morning. Tonight will be clear, with a low around 59 degrees and a calm wind. Tomorrow will be sunny, with a high near 81, Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 80 and Sunday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 79.
• Riverhead Town, Peconic Bay Medical Center and Columbia Care have agreed to look for a new location within Riverhead for a medical marijuana dispensary, after overwhelming public comment last night opposed to a proposed moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries in town. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Mecox Bay cut to the ocean in Water Mill will be opened by the Southampton Town Trustees today. They’re advising fishermen, and the general public, to be careful and stay away from the main cut because the bay is very high and there will be a heavy flow of water. Digging will begin in the early afternoon and usually takes a few hours.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss a proposal to require landlords to procure garbage collection services for their tenants at their 11 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board will hold three public hearings on scenic and conservation easements at their 6:30 p.m. meeting tonight. Their full agenda is online here.
• Today’s Riverhead Town Board work session has been cancelled.
• Group for the East End, Group to Save Goldsmith Inlet and the Mattituck-Southold-Greenport JROTC will hold their annual cleanup of the area around Goldsmith Inlet this Saturday, Sept. 19 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Meet at the end of Mill Lane for a list fo cleanup areas. More information is online here.
• Rose Nigro, author of the new children’s book, A Duck’s Tail, will visit The Big Duck in Flanders this afternoon at 4 p.m. to read from her story for children in honor of Grandparents Day, which was this past weekend. This program is sponsored by the Riverhead Free Library. The Beacon’s full story is online here. [Free]
• Nancy Atlas will be the headline act at a fundraiser tonight at The Stephen Talkhouse for the productions and outreach of the performance art troupe The Neo-Political Cowgirls. More information is online here. [$25]
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.