• Today will be sunny, with a high near 83 degrees and a north wind 6 to 8 miles per hour, becoming northeast in the afternoon. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 54. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 80, and Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 79.
• Tomorrow is the fourth annual Car Free Day Long Island, a day devoted to raising awareness about the importance of alternative transportation, and the barriers to public usage of alternative transportation. You can sign up to take the pledge to not drive today online here. Here’s our tale from participating in the first-ever Car Free Day Long Island back in 2013.
• Bay Street Theater in Sag Harbor is inviting the community to watch the presidential debates and election night coverage live on the big screen throughout the rest of this election season, beginning with the debate next Monday, Sept. 26, at Hofstra University. More information is online here.
• Members of the Southold Project in Aquaculture Training gathered Saturday, Sept. 17 at Founder’s Landing in Southold for their annual picnic — an affair packed with families, shellfish lovers and music lovers alike. Read more in our sister publication, The Peconic Bathtub, online here.
• Governor Andrew Cuomo announced last week that the state plans to invest $5 million dollars in the work being done on new water filtration techniques at Stony Brook Southampton’s Center for Clean Water Technology. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• El Colegio Del Cuerpo Dance Company and students from the Peconic Community School will give a special dance performance in the sculpture garden at Peconic Landing in Greenport this afternoon at 1:30 p.m. All are welcome to attend. More information is online here. [Free]
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 12:47 a.m., 1:18 p.m.
Orient: 1:48 a.m., 2:19 p.m.
Greenport: 2:16 a.m., 2:47 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 2:11 a.m., 2:42 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 3:38 a.m., 4:09 p.m.
S. JPT: 3:45 a.m., 4:16 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:30 a.m.
MTK Hbr: 1:46 a.m., 2:21 p.m.
Orient: 2:47 a.m., 3:22 p.m.
Greenport: 3:15 a.m., 3:50 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 3:10 a.m., 3:45 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 4:37 a.m., 5:12 p.m.
S. JPT: 4:44 a.m., 5:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:04 a.m., 12:29 p.m.