• Today will be cloudy, with a high near 78 degrees and a calm wind, becoming east 5 to 8 miles per hour in the morning. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers after midnight tonight and a 40 percent chance of showers tomorrow, when the high wll be near 78. There’s a 60 percent chance of showers and possibly a thunderstorm on Wednesday, when the high will be near 73.
• The New York State Assembly Standing Committee on Environmental Conservation is planning a public hearing in Farmingville this morning at 11 a.m. on “what steps can be taken to preserve Plum Island as open space in light of the pending sale.” The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• There has been a venue change for the NYLCV Southold candidate forum scheduled for tonight night, Sept. 28. The forum will now be held at the Knights of Columbus Hall on Depot Lane in Cutchogue at 6 p.m., not at the Peconic Lane Community Center. More information is online here.
• The Press News Group, publisher of The Southampton Press, will host its annual Southampton Town debate tonight, Sept. 28, at 7:30 p.m. in the Southampton High School auditorium. More information is online here.
• The Beacon’s full debate listings for the upcoming campaign season are online here. If you are running a debate you’d like to see added to our calendar, please send the details to email@example.com.
• Early registration is now open for the Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation’s 18th Annual 5K Run for the Ridley on Oct. 24. Runners and joggers of all ages can participate for $20 per person. Plus, the first 300 registered will get a free t-shirt! For more information and to sign up online, click here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.