Harvest Time
Harvest Time

Good Morning!

• Today will be cloudy, with a high near 78 degrees and a calm wind, becoming east 5 to 8 miles per hour in the morning. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers after midnight tonight and a 40 percent chance of showers tomorrow, when the high wll be near 78. There’s a 60 percent chance of showers and possibly a thunderstorm on Wednesday, when the high will be near 73.

• The New York State Assembly Standing Committee on Environmental Conservation is planning a public hearing in Farmingville this morning at 11 a.m. on “what steps can be taken to preserve Plum Island as open space in light of the pending sale.” The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• There has been a venue change for the NYLCV Southold candidate forum scheduled for tonight night, Sept. 28. The forum will now be held at the Knights of Columbus Hall on Depot Lane in Cutchogue at 6 p.m., not at the Peconic Lane Community Center. More information is online here.

• The Press News Group, publisher of The Southampton Press, will host its annual Southampton Town debate tonight, Sept. 28, at 7:30 p.m. in the Southampton High School auditorium. More information is online here.

• The Beacon’s full debate listings for the upcoming campaign season are online here. If you are running a debate you’d like to see added to our calendar, please send the details to editor@eastendbeacon.com.

• Early registration is now open for the Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation’s 18th Annual 5K Run for the Ridley on Oct. 24.  Runners and joggers of all ages can participate for $20 per person. Plus, the first 300 registered will get a free t-shirt! For more information and to sign up online, click here.

• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of this morning. To get your very own copy each week, sign up here.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.


Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: