Good Morning, and Happy Tumbleweed Tuesday!
• Today will be sunny and humid, with a high near 86 degrees and a southwest wind 7 to 11 miles per hour. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 69. Tomorrow will be mostly sunny, with a high near 84. There’s a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11 a.m. Thursday and showers are likely before 7 a.m. Friday, after which it will be partly sunny, with a high near 82.
East End governments are wasting no time getting back to work after the holiday weekend:
• The Southold Town Board will discuss a tick committee, implementation of their transient rental legislation and allowing CAST to use the Peconic Lane Community Center for free computer classes at their 9 a.m. work session this morning. At the evening meeting at 7:30 p.m., they’re holding a public hearing on zoning for aquaculture uses, and North Fork Audubon is rallying proponents of a plastic bag ban to address the board. Their full agenda for both meetings is online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss the Army Corps of Engineers’ Montauk beach restabilization project, due to start in October, at their 10 a.m. work session this morning at the Montauk Firehouse. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will hold public hearings on the town’s proposed water protection plan and several Community Preservation Fund acquisitions at their 6 p.m. meeting this evening. Their full agenda is online here.
• If you missed the Shinnecock Nation’s 69th Annual Powwow this past weekend, you can catch up with some of the dancing in our slideshow here. Don’t miss the 70th powwow next year!
• The North Fork Animal Welfare League is kicking off a fundraising campaign to move the Riverhead Town animal shelter today. More details are online here.
• School is opening for most kids on the East End today. Drive carefully!
• The Montauk Chamber of Commerce hosts their annual free Tumbleweed Tuesday concert, starring Nancy Atlas, on the Montauk Green this afternoon at 4:30 p.m. The event also stars free hot dogs, chips, soda and water for everyone who made it through the summer alive.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.