JumpstART! Returns to Downtown Riverhead August 7
JumpstART! is returning to the Peconic riverfront behind downtown Riverhead next Friday night, for a second annual evening of free public arts — murals, poetry, art installations, live music, performances and dance.
The event, first held last August, celebrates the unveiling of 13 public art installations throughout downtown Riverhead, created through a professional development project spearheaded by East End Arts to help visual artists bring their work to a broad audience.
Poet and writer Maggie Bloomfield of Westhampton Beach and visual artist Anne Drager of Montauk are unveiling “Words & Birds”, a family-friendly, interactive project to promote culturally aware poetry and art.
Classical singer José Coropuna of Laurel will present “A Musical Journey Through Riverhead”, an outdoor vocal recital. Abstract painter Barbara Jones of Greenlawn will present “The Peconic River Dancers – Secrets of the Wetlands”, an outdoor installation on the magic of dance and the hidden world of river spirits.
Near the River & Roots Community Garden, visual artist Samantha Neukirch of Smithtown will present “Blue.exe”, a mixed media mural project on a wall behind the playground that celebrates our local aquatic ecosystem in the 21st Century. Mosaic artist Linda Purrazzella of Southampton will present “Community Intertwined”, a mosaic pathway leading to the community garden that will be created with the help of community members.
Visual artist Andrea Manning of Babylon and theatre artist Becca Seibert of Babylon are presenting “Space Picnic”, an interactive performance art installation that transforms a storefront into a fully immersive, 360-degree environment in which audiences can explore the sounds, shapes, colors, and textures of a fictional alien planet based on deep sea, rainforest, and microscopic imagery.
Video producer Susan Levy of Quogue will present “Riverhead Revealed”, a video art project that profiles people, projects and places in Riverhead.
Abstract photographer Sarah Prescott of Orient will present “Get Paused”, a photographic memoir about how a brain tumor and stroke changed her life and art.
Illustrator Frank Sofo of East Hampton will present “Veronica’s World”, about a series of children’s books he wrote based on a fictional story of a cat named Veronica who becomes a companion of great artists like Vincent van Gogh and Claude Monet.
Painter Drew Kane of Huntington Station will present a chameleon mural. Visual artist Cara Lynch of Lindenhurst will present “Dear Riverhead”, an installation outside of the Long Island Science Center. Painter Stephanie Walsh of Medford will present “Thoughts that Swim”, a project that harnesses the movement of swimming fish. Interdisciplinary artist Courtney Surmanek of Centereach will present “Becoming Our Spaces,” a creative collective dedicated to opening up communal spaces that encourage expressive freedom.
JumpstART!, runs from 5 to 10 p.m. on Aug. 7, and is being held in conjunction with the opening at 5 p.m. of East End Arts’s annual national juried show, “The Figure,” on view through Sept. 23. A wine reception with Martha Clara Vineyards will be held simultaneously in East End Arts’ carriage house.
Throughout the evening, teachers and students in East End Arts’ music program will provide music on the streets of downtown and along the riverfront, and there will be dance performances by the Peconic Ballet Theatre and the Steel Silk Band, hula hoop lessons, a parade sponsored by “Imagination Station” from East End Arts to the Riverside Rediscovered headquarters on Peconic Avenue, jazz improvisation workshops and drumming on the East End Arts grounds.
Pick up a map of events at the East End Arts Gallery, 133 E. Main Street, Riverhead NY
OR CLICK HERE to download the map >>
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Experience JumpstART public art projects from 5:00 PM through 10:00 PM throughout Downtown Riverhead! Most installations can be visited throughout the evening. All activities are FREE, unless otherwise noted.
• 5 – 7 PM :: East End Arts 4th Annual National Show “The Figure” Opening Reception in the EEA Gallery, 133 E. Main Street. Refreshments will be served.
• 5 – 8 PM :: Enjoy a wine tasting event with Martha Clara Vineyards in the EEA Carriage House, located behind the Gallery, 133 E. Main Street. $5 donation for three wine tastings supports East End Arts.
• 5 – 10 PM :: Live music throughout downtown, presented by East End Arts, including George Cork Maul and Jeannie Woelker; Mike Gari and Steve Shaughnessy; Satisfaction; EEA School students led by Andrea Modugno
• 4:30 – 5:30 PM :: Peconic Ballet Theatre performance at Grangebel Park Stage
• 5 – 5:30 PM :: “Improvisation Station” activated by “Becoming Our Spaces”, on East End Arts grounds (133 E. Main Street, Riverhead)
• 5 – 7 PM :: “Community Intertwined” hands-on mosaic demonstration at River & Roots Community Garden Pathway at Grangebel Park
• 5 – 7:30 PM :: “Space Picnic” performance, 213 E. Main Street, Riverhead
• 5 – 10 PM :: “All Hands on Riverhead” presented by Riverhead Free Library, in celebration of their 120th year, on Main Street
• 5:30 – 6:15 PM :: “Improvisation Workshop” with Thomas Manuel of the Jazz Loft, on East End Arts grounds (133 E. Main Street, Riverhead)
• 6 – 7 PM :: “A Musical Journey Through Riverhead” concert, 211 E. Main Street, Riverhead
• 6 – 7 PM :: “Veronica’s World” storytelling in the Fresh Pond one-room schoolhouse on East End Arts grounds (133 E. Main Street, Riverhead)
• 6 PM :: Hula Hoop Lessons for all ages by Jaime Foley of Whirl & Dirvish, on East End Arts grounds (133 E. Main Street, Riverhead)
• 6 – 8 PM :: “Dear Riverhead” installation outside the Long Island Science Center
• 6 – 8 PM :: “The Peconic River Dancers – Secrets of the Wetlands” installation at the Peconic River West Gazebo
• 6 – 8 PM :: “Thoughts that Swim” installation along the Peconic River
• 6:15 – 6:30 PM :: “Improvisation Station Parade to Riverside Rediscovered” from East End Arts grounds (133 E. Main Street, Riverhead)
• 6:30 – 7:15 PM :: “Riverhead Revealed” World Premiere Screening, followed by Q&A (with repeat showings at 8:00, 8:30, 9:00 PM) at 108 Peconic Ave, Riverhead
• 7 – 7:45 PM :: Percussion & Music Improvisation Experience with the Coltrane Home Foundation, on East End Arts grounds (133 E. Main Street, Riverhead)
• 7 – 8 PM :: “Chameleon Mural” Meet the Artist, at mural location on E. Main Street
• 7 – 9 PM :: Steel Silk Band performance, presented by Riverhead Townscape at Grangebel Park Stage
• 7:15 – 7:45 PM :: “A Creative Imaging” presented by “Becoming Our Spaces”, on East End Arts grounds (133 E. Main Street, Riverhead)
• 8 PM :: Hula Hoop Lessons for all ages by Jaime Foley of Whirl & Dirvish, on East End Arts grounds (133 E. Main Street, Riverhead)