This Morning’s Bulletin — 1.2.23
• We’re expecting partly sunny skies today, with a high temperature near 50 degrees and a calm wind becoming west around 6 miles per hour. There’s a 20 percent chance of rain after 1 a.m. overnight, with increasing clouds and a low around 37. Rain is likely Tuesday, with areas of fog before 1 p.m. and a high near 53. We’re expecting rain on Wednesday, with a high near 56.
• Because New Year’s Day fell on a Sunday, today is a federal holiday. Banks, post offices and schools are closed.
• The federal omnibus spending bill for 2023 passed by Congress just before Christmas expresses “support for the permanent conservation of Plum Island for the protection in perpetuity of its natural and cultural resources.” Read More.
• Stony Brook University is introducing a new piece into the local food ecosystem here in 2023, with the launch of a new Small Scale Farming Program this month at the university’s Southampton campus. Read More.
• The Beacon’s January print edition is now on newsstands throughout the East End. Pick up a copy at any of these locations today! You’ll read much of our coverage in print before you find it online, and our print edition supports much of the work we do.
• If in the midst of buying Covid tests and mountains of bacon at Costco last week you’ve forgotten to purchase a calendar for the new year ahead, never fear. The Beacon has you covered. You can get off to the new year on the right foot with the The Beacon’s 2023 Wall Calendar, a downloadable PDF of an old-school wall calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:23 a.m., 6:46 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:31 a.m., 5:54 p.m.
Greenport: 7 a.m., 7:23 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:42 a.m., 8:17 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:55 a.m., 7:18 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:22 a.m., 8:45 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:29 a.m., 8:52 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:18 a.m., 5:40 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:27 a.m., 3:49 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:09 a.m., 7:31 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:17 a.m., 6:39 p.m.
Greenport: 7:46 a.m., 8:08 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:32 a.m., 9:07 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:41 a.m., 8:03 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:08 a.m., 9:30 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:15 a.m., 9:37 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:10 a.m., 6:35 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:19 a.m., 4:44 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.