• Today will be sunny, with a high near 41 degrees, with a west wind 14 to 17 miles per hour and chill values between 20 and 30. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 17. Thursday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 48.
• Progressive East End Reformers are hosting candidate forums with each of the six Democratic candidates for U.S. Congress on alternating Tuesdays beginning this evening, when former Suffolk County Legislator Vivian Viloria Fisher and New York City Council staffer David Pechefsky will speak. The forum begins at 6:30 p.m. in the community room of Bridgehampton National Bank’s headquarters on Montauk Highway in Bridgehampton. More details are online here.
• What does it mean to you to be awoken to the troubles facing people in the world who are not like yourself? Our columnist Michael Daly explores what this means to him in our January installment of The Homestead.
• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss legislation concerning fences, walls and berms at their 10 a.m. work session at the Montauk Firehouse this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will hold public hearings on extending first time homebuyer tax exemptions to new construction and on a conservation and trail easement in the subdivision of Ocean View Park in Water Mill at their 1 p.m. meeting this afternoon. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Shelter Island Town Board will discuss early payment of taxes, 2018 Association of Towns meetings and expansion of the Community Housing Committee at their 1 p.m. work session this afternoon. Their full agenda is online here.
• The New Suffolk School Board is slated to hear recommendations at their 7 p.m. meeting tonight on whether or not to close the school and send its students to other districts. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:42 a.m., 4:07 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:50 a.m., 3:15 p.m.
Greenport: 4:19 a.m., 4:44 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:07 a.m., 5:36 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:14 a.m., 4:39 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:41 a.m., 6:06 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:48 a.m., 6:13 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:56 a.m., 1:08 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:44 a.m., 5:10 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:52 a.m., 4:18 p.m.
Greenport: 5:21 a.m., 5:47 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:04 a.m., 6:35 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:16 a.m., 5:42 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:43 a.m., 7:09 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:50 a.m., 7:16 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:49 a.m., 2:03 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.