• It will be sunny today, with a high temperature near 26 degrees but wind chill values between 5 and 15, with a northwest wind 8 to 14 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 7. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 31. There’s a 30 percent chance of snow after 1 p.m. Friday, with cloudy skies and a high near 35.
• It’s easy to be pessimistic about the state of the Earth’s climate, and about what climate change means in the not-so-long run for the humans and other creatures who inhabit this planet. But pessimism doesn’t spur people to action. That’s part of the thinking behind Project Drawdown, a comprehensive series of tools that everyone can use to make a dent in the amount of carbon that is warming our atmosphere. Read More.
• There are currently a dizzying array of tools being built by people looking to speed up the drawdown of carbon from our atmosphere. We heard about more than a smattering of them during the weekend-long Drawdown Festival at the Southampton Arts Center. Here are some highlights.
• Suffolk County reported 737 new cases of Covid-19 on Tuesday, Jan. 25, with 11 percent of people tested testing positive. There were also 19 fatalities on Tuesday, bringing the death toll here to 4146 people since March of 2020. There were 717 people hospitalized with the virus as of Monday, March 24, with 104 of them in ICU.
• In Suffolk, 72.1 percent of the total population has received the Covid-19 vaccine, with 84.5 percent of the population ages 18 and up “fully vaccinated,” which is defined as having received two shots of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine or one shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine as of Jan. 25. Of the fully vaccinated, 40 percent had received a booster shot.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:58 a.m., 5:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:06 a.m., 4:35 p.m.
Greenport: 5:35 a.m., 6:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:16 a.m., 6:58 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:30 a.m., 5:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:57 a.m., 7:26 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:04 a.m., 7:33 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:53 a.m., 4:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:02 a.m., 2:28 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:59 a.m., 6:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:07 a.m., 5:35 p.m.
Greenport: 6:36 a.m., 7:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:20 a.m., 8:02 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:31 a.m., 6:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:58 a.m., 8:26 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:05 a.m., 8:33 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5 a.m., 5:31 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:09 a.m., 3:40 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.