• Today will be sunny, with a high near 42 degrees. Tonight will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Tomorrow will be partly sunny, with a high near 40. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 41. The East Hampton Highway Superintendent is warning there is some black ice on some roads out there early this morning.
• State Senator Kenneth LaValle will host his annual Environmental Roundtable this evening from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Suffolk County Community College Culinary Arts and Hospitality Center at 20 East Main Street in Riverhead. Policy makers from throughout the East End will be there to share their concerns and suggestions to help the environment here.
• Riverside Rediscovered, which worked last year on issues ranging from zoning changes to reconfiguring the traffic circle to improving recreational activities for the blighted hamlet of Riverside, will host a New Years Meet-Up tonight at 6:30 p.m. to discuss goals for 2016. The meeting will be held at Riverside Rediscovered’s headquarters at 108 Peconic Avenue. RSVP to 631.591.3926 firstname.lastname@example.org. Light refreshments will be served.
• The Jamesport-South Jamesport Civic Association meeting originally scheduled for Jan. 23 at the Jamesport Meeting House has been rescheduled for this Saturday, Jan. 30 at 9:30 a.m. at the Meeting House due to the blizzard last weekend.
• The opening reception Guild Hall’s Student Art Festival for grades K-8 was originally scheduled for this past Saturday during the blizzard, but it will still be held this coming weekend! The reception will be held on Sunday, Jan. 31 from 2 to 4 p.m. More information is online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss funding for the Peconic Estuary Program, audits and capital improvements for the recreation department at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• In songwriter Tim Motz’s Hamptons, aliens fly in and buy up all the beer. Women order their lovers through the mail, waiting for them to arrive in big crates. Guys get dumped for Jesus. Women threaten to talk God’s ear off once they reach the pearly gates. If you hate your boss, you can sail into the sun on a green balloon. And love is margarine, spread all around. And if you don’t believe a word of that is true, then you’ll just have to click here.
• Today would have been painter Jackson Pollock’s 104th birthday, and there’s a survey of his works from 1934 to 1954 currently on view at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. See how the Pollock-Krasner House & Study Center in Springs is celebrating online here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.