• Today will be sunny, with a high near 36 degrees, with a north wind 8 to 13 miles per hour, and wind chill values between 15 and 25. We’re expecting increasing clouds overnight, with a low around 20. There’s a 50 percent chance of rain Tuesday, mainly after 1 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 43. There’s a 30 percent chance of snow before 7 a.m. Wednesday, but otherwise it will be mostly sunny and breezy, with a high near 28.
• State Assemblyman Fred Thiele has withdrawn his support for the South Fork Wind Farm, calling it a ‘bait and switch’ after developers announced they were upping the power output of the turbines. The Beacon’s story is online here.
• East Hampton is on a tear with its affordable housing goals this winter, with a proposed 37-unit complex on Montauk Highway in Amagansett expected to be under construction later this spring, and with a new agreement to purchase 4 acres on Route 114 just outside the Sag Harbor Village boundary to build up to 27 more units. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association will hold a forum on a proposed 20,000-square-foot hardware store at the corner of the Main Road and New Suffolk Avenue this evening, Jan. 28 at 6:30 p.m. at the Mattituck American Legion. More details are online here.
• Today is the last day to subscribe to our print edition in order to get on our mailing list for February. You’ll read many of these stories in print before you find them here. Subscribe online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:41 a.m., 4:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:49 a.m., 3:16 p.m.
Greenport: 4:18 a.m., 4:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:05 a.m., 5:37 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:13 a.m., 4:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:40 a.m., 6:07 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:47 a.m., 6:14 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:46 a.m., 3:01 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:55 a.m., 1:10 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:45 a.m., 5:15 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:53 a.m., 4:23 p.m.
Greenport: 5:22 a.m., 5:52 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:05 a.m., 6:40 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:17 a.m., 5:47 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:44 a.m., 7:14 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:51 a.m., 7:21 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:41 a.m., 3:59 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:50 a.m., 2:08 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.