This Morning’s Bulletin — 1.6.21
• It will be mostly sunny today, with a high near 40 degrees but wind chill values between 20 and 30, with a northwest wind 9 to 14 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 24. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 43 and Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 39.
• The New York State Department of Health has rolled out a new web portal allowing you to register to find out when and where you will be eligible to receive a vaccine against Covid-19. Here’s the site.
• Suffolk County reported 1,554 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Tuesday, with 10.9 percent of people tested testing positive. There are currently 814 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 119 of them in ICU. The county reported 15 more deaths from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 2,376 people.
• The Long Island Cares Mobile Food Pantry will be coming to the Riverhead Free Library tomorrow, Jan. 7 from 11 a.m. to noon, and on the first Thursday of the month every month thereafter until June. Here are more details.
• Our columnist Dave Davis talks this month about the practice of Effective Altruism, making sure that anything you have to give has the greatest impact. Read his January column here.
• The Beacon has lost its founding publisher, Fireball Young, this week, at the age of 17. Fireball’s diverse holdings included steaks in many hamlets on the East End. He was a native of the Kent Animal Shelter in Riverhead, where he briefly lived after he was caught sipping Slurpees behind the Riverhead 7-Eleven with two other pups — the trio were dubbed Curly, Larry & Moe by the shelter at the time, but Fireball (née Larry) was no stooge. If you’re feeling effectively altruistic, consider supporting the Kent Animal Shelter. They do great work.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:08 a.m., 3:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:!6 a.m., 2:35 p.m.
Greenport: 3:45 a.m., 4:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:31 a.m., 4:58 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:40 a.m., 3:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:07 a.m., 5:26 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:14 a.m., 5:33 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:14 a.m., 2:22 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:23 a.m., 12:31 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:10 a.m., 4:32 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:18 a.m., 3:40 p.m.
Greenport: 4:47 a.m., 5:09 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:29 a.m., 6:02 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:42 a.m., 5:04 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:09 a.m., 6:31 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:16 a.m., 6:38 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:10 a.m., 3:23 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:19 a.m., 1:32 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.