• We’re expecting showers and possibly a thunderstorm, mainly after 3 p.m. today, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 73 degrees and a south wind 9 to 18 miles per hour. We’re also expecting showers and possibly a thunderstorm tonight. But the weekend looks wonderful: Saturday is expected to be sunny, with a high near 65, Sunday is expected to be sunny, with a high near 66 and Monday is expected to be sunny, with a high near 70.
• What’s in Southold’s 375th Anniversary Time Capsule… You’ll have to check back in 25 years. In the meantime, join the town in celebrating its founding day by burying the time capsule at Silversmith’s Corner on Oct. 21 at 5 p.m. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Southampton Town is inviting residents interested in affordable housing to register for its waiting list. Applications are available online at www.southamptontownny.gov/Southampton-Housing-Authority, or calling 631.488.4220 ext 205. Residents who register and meet program requirements may be eligible to purchase or rent affordable housing units within the town.
• Every October, Custer Observatory in Southold hosts its annual Jamboree, a weekend of astronomy lectures, stargazing, and friendship. 2015 marks the 37th year of this weekend of lectures, demonstrations, friends, food, music, and, of course, stargazing, beginning tonight. More information is online here.
• Pedigrees, designer dogs and mutts are all invited to take part in the Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons’ “Stroll to the Sea,” a two-mile walk to the ocean, starting from Mulford Farm at 10 James Lane in East Hampton this Saturday morning, Oct. 10, beginning at 9 a.m. More information is online here.
• Friends of the Long Pond Greenbelt, the South Fork Natural History Museum and the Peconic Land Trust are hosting a day of games, crafts, hikes, and information about the Long Pond Greenbelt tomorrow, Oct. 10, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the South Fork Natural History Museum. More information is online here.
• The Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center presents its fourth annual free Family Film Festival tomorrow, with screenings at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. More information is online here.
• Plant & Sing, a festival of bluegrass and traditional American music, celebrating local food and community at Sylvester Manor on Shelter Island, kicks off Saturday night and continues all day Sunday. The full schedule of events is online here.
• 230 Down in Southampton is paying tribute to Neil Young all evening Saturday, with a marathon series of performances of Neil Young’s songs beginning at 8 p.m. More information is online here.
• This year marks the 39th Annual Riverhead Country Fair celebrating the agricultural heritage of Riverhead town. All day Sunday, Riverhead hosts visitors and vendors from many states throughout the country to one of the largest festivals in New York State. More information is online here.
• The Beacon’s full events calendar, for both this weekend and the week ahead, is online here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.