• We’re expecting areas of fog before noon today but otherwise skies will gradually clear throughout the day, with a high near 76 degrees and a calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 8 miles per hour in the afternoon. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers overnight, with a low around 67. Showers are likely Thursday, with a high near 76. Showers will continue until early Friday morning, with the remainder of the day being mostly cloudy, with a high near 66.
• Tears of pride and joy overwhelmed the eyes of friends and colleagues of Mattituck-Cutchogue School Board member Brian Mealy Thursday night as Mr. Mealy was honored with the Southold Town Anti-Bias Task Force’s Helen Wright Prince Award. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Stony Brook Southampton Hospital will hold its annual free flu shot clinic for adults 18 years or older from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. today in Parrish Memorial Hall, located on the corner of Herrick Road and Lewis Street in Southampton. Vaccines are subject to availability, and valid ID is required. No appointments are necessary
• The Montauk Observatory will be holding a special lecture, “Probing the Universe with LIGO,” by 2017 Nobel Laureate Dr. Rainer Weiss, this evening, Oct. 10 at 6 p.m. at Stony Brook Southampton. More details are online here.
• Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone has launched an online petition asking the IRS to stop blocking a New York State proposal to create a fund to help homeowners impacted by the federal changes to the state and local tax income tax deduction.
• The North Fork Environmental Council has announced the return of its Chili Night benefit, which will be held on Friday, Oct. 26 at Jamesport Farm Brewery. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:05 a.m., 11:32 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:13 a.m., 10:40 p.m.
Greenport: 11:42 a.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:25 a.m., 12:45 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:37 a.m.
New Suffolk: 12:43 a.m., 1:04 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:50 a.m., 1:11 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:28 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:37 a.m., 8:55 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:54 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:02 a.m., 11:29 p.m.
Greenport: 12:09 a.m., 12:31 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:12 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:04 a.m., 12:26 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:31 a.m., 1:53 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:38 a.m., 2 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:13 a.m., 11:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:22 a.m., 9:42 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.