• We are currently under a coastal flood advisory, with multiple rounds of coastal flooding expected at times of high tide as a major coastal storm travels through the area through Friday. The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:22 a.m., 8:41 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:30 a.m., 7:49 p.m.
Greenport: 8:59 a.m., 9:18 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:50 a.m., 10:10 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:54 a.m., 9:13 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:21 a.m., 10:40 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:28 a.m., 10:47 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:29 a.m., 7:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:38 a.m., 5:52 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:01 a.m., 9:19 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:09 a.m., 8:27 p.m.
Greenport: 9:38 a.m., 9:56 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:31 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:33 a.m., 9:51 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11 a.m., 11:18 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:07 a.m., 11:25 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:11 a.m., 8:25 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:20 a.m., 6:34 p.m.
• We’re expecting rain to continue today, with new precipitation of as much as an inch today and between a quarter and a half an inch overnight, with a north wind during the day at 28 to 31 miles per hour, gusting as high as 49. The temperature is expected to fall to around 53 by 5 p.m. and then rise to around 57 by 1 a.m. Thursday, with winds shifting to the northeast overnight at 28 to 31 miles per hour, gusting as high as 47. Rain and a northeast wind 26 to 30 miles per hour, gusting to 47, will continue on Friday, with a high near 61 and new precipitation amounts Friday between a tenth and quarter of an inch. Rain is expected to taper off Friday night, with mostly cloudy skies Saturday and a high near 63.
• One in eight American women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime, making breast cancer the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the country. From one end of the East End to another this month, people are banding together to fight back. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will meet in its capacity as the Hampton Bays Water District commissioners this morning at 10 a.m.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss a special permit request for 1535 Route 58 and hear the town’s monthly public safety and traffic report at its 10 a.m. work session at town hall this morning.
• Little Women (The Musical) opens this evening at the North Fork Community Theatre in Mattituck, where it will run Thursdays through Sundays through Oct. 27.
• Don’t let the gloom of this storm get you down — now’s a great time to crank up your oven and explore what to do with the end-of-season harvest. Let our Peconic Dish columnist, Alison Boyd, guide the way.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.