• We’re expecting showers today, mainly before 2 p.m., with a high near 68 degrees and a south wind 5 to 10 miles per hour, increasing to 11 to 16 in the afternoon. Showers and breezy conditions will continue overnight, with a low around 48. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 58, and Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 60.
• The New York League of Conservation Voters hosts a candidate forum on environmental issues with congressional candidates Lee Zeldin and Perry Gershon Monday, Oct. 15 at 5 p.m. at the Suffolk County Community College Culinary Arts Center at 20 East Main Street in Riverhead. Registration is required at this link.
• Tomorrow, Oct. 16 at 6 p.m. the design group working on the Riverside Maritime Trail Park will return to the David W. Crohan Community Center on Flanders Road with more design ideas for the park.
• Our Gardenwise columnist, Susan Tito, brings us some great info on asters, the star of the autumn garden, this month.
• Congressman Lee Zeldin is urging residents who live near the former Grumman plant in Calverton to have their water tested for compounds found in firefighting foam that had historically been used at the site, and is supporting efforts of the U.S. Navy to clean up the problem.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:01 a.m., 3:24 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:09 a.m., 2:32 p.m.
Greenport: 3:38 a.m., 4:01 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:28 a.m., 4:45 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:33 a.m., 3:56 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5 a.m., 5:23 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:07 a.m., 5:30 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:08 a.m., 2:28 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:17 a.m., 12:37 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:02 a.m., 4:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:10 a.m., 3:35 p.m.
Greenport: 4:39 a.m., 5:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:24 a.m., 5:42 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:34 a.m., 4:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:01 a.m., 6:26 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:08 a.m., 6:33 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:01 a.m., 3:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:10 a.m., 1:27 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.