• It will be mostly sunny today, with a high near 64 degrees and a northeast wind around 14 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 44 and a northeast wind 8 to 10 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of light rain Tuesday, mainly after 1 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 62. We’re expecting rain to continue into early Wednesday, with skies gradually clearing and a high near 65.
• With two back-to-back major fall storms bearing down on the East End in the past week, the west end of Dune Road in Hampton Bays faced severe flooding and erosion, requiring a massive undertaking to shore up a dune and prevent the ocean from breaching the road. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• An effort to incorporate a Village of East Quogue failed Thursday, Oct. 17, with 58 percent of voters who turned out casting ‘no’ votes on the question of whether the hamlet would become its own village. More details are online here.
• East Hampton Town’s election landscape this year is one to watch, with two incumbent Democratic council members and an incumbent Democratic supervisor facing off against a field of candidates loosely affiliated behind a new “Fusion” party slate made up of Democratic and unaffiliated civic leaders who believe in reforming the town’s Democratic party. The Beacon’s coverage of last week’s League of Women Voters of the Hamptons East Hampton debate is online here.
• Riverhead Town Board candidates face off this Wednesday, Oct. 23 at 6:30 p.m. at Riverhead’s Polish Hall.
• The North Fork Environmental Council has announced its annual Chili Night, originally scheduled for this Friday, has been postponed to next spring due to several restaurants being unable to participate because of the busy fall season they’ve had.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 4 a.m., 4:21 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:08 a.m., 3:29 p.m.
Greenport: 4:37 a.m., 4:58 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:26 a.m., 5:42 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:32 a.m., 4:53 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:59 a.m., 6:20 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:06 a.m., 6:27 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:59 a.m., 3:08 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:08 a.m., 1:17 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:06 a.m., 5:30 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:14 a.m., 4:38 p.m.
Greenport: 5:43 a.m., 6:07 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:28 a.m., 6:48 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:38 a.m., 6:02 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:05 a.m., 7:29 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:12 a.m., 7:36 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:02 a.m., 4:14 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:11 a.m., 2:23 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today