• We’re expecting areas of fog before 10 a.m. today, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high temperature near 71 degrees and a calm wind becoming east around 5 miles per hour in the afternoon. We’re expecting patchy drizzle and fog after 2 a.m. overnight, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 57. Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 66 and Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 68.
• The stark divide in our national political climate was on full display Monday night, in one of the few chances this election season to see Congressman Lee Zeldin, a three-term incumbent Republican, face off against his Democratic challenger, Nancy Goroff, a chemist and former chair of the chemistry department at Stony Brook University. Here’s our full story.
• Early voting in Suffolk County begins this Saturday and continues through Nov. 1. Here’s what you need to know.
• Suffolk County reported 114 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Wednesday, with 1.4 percent of people tested testing positive. This is a bit of a jump from recent weeks when the positivity rate has hovered around or under 1 percent. There are currently just 26 patients hospitalized with the virus in Suffolk, with two of them in ICU. The county reported no new deaths on Wednesday, and the death toll here stands at 2,019 people.
• The Southampton Town Board is slated to discuss a new “battery code” and plans for a park in Water Mill at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda.
• Peconic Bay Winery in Cutchogue is hosting a family drive-in screening of “Monsters Inc.” this Saturday, Oct. 24 at 7 p.m. to benefit the Cutchogue Fire Department. Tickets are $45 per car, and can be purchased online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:45 a.m., 3:14 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:53 a.m., 2:22 p.m.
Greenport: 3:22 a.m., 3:51 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:19 a.m., 4:41 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:17 a.m., 3:46 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:44 a.m., 5:13 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:51 a.m., 5:20 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2 a.m., 2:24 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:09 a.m., 12:33 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:52 a.m., 4:22 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
Greenport: 4:29 a.m., 4:59 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:22 a.m., 5:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:24 a.m., 4:54 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:51 a.m., 6:21 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:58 a.m., 6:28 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:01 a.m., 3:23 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:10 a.m., 1:32 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.