This Morning’s Bulletin — 10.23.19
• There’s a 30 percent chance of rain before 8 a.m. today, with mostly cloudy skies through mid-morning, then gradually clearing, with a high near 64 degrees and a west wind 14 to 18 miles per hour. It will be clear overnight, with a low around 45. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 64, and Friday will be sunny, with a high near 62.
• We’d just gone to one of the first debates of this local election season as this edition of The Beacon went to press. It was a contentious and nuanced affair, filled with intrigue surrounding the backstories between the candidates, the idiosyncrasies of their positions on intensely local issues and their complex relationships to their political parties. The local campaign season is looking like a doozy, and it’s far more than just a horse race, as we contend in this month’s editorial.
• Riverhead Town Board candidates face off this evening, Oct. 23 at 6:30 p.m. in a debate sponsored by the Times-Review News Group at Riverhead’s Polish Hall. All are welcome.
• This Saturday is the Drug Enforcement Agency’s National Drug Takeback Day, and numerous community groups and law enforcement agencies on the East End are participating by setting up medication disposal locations throughout the day. Find a place near you online here to help keep potentially dangerous prescription drugs from getting into the wrong hands.
• The North Fork Civic Associations are presenting “One Big Home,” a Film & Discussion at the Peconic Lane Recreation Center, this coming Sunday, Oct. 27 at 2 p.m. All are welcome. More details are online here.
• Halloween is just about here, and from haunted graveyard tours to parades and ghoulish celebrations, the East End is pulling out all the stops on celebrating. Here are some highlights.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:07 a.m., 6:32 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:15 a.m., 5:40 p.m.
Greenport: 6:44 a.m., 7:09 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:30 a.m., 7:53 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:39 a.m., 7:04 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:06 a.m., 8:31 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:13 a.m., 8:38 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:06 a.m., 5:21 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:15 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:02 a.m., 7:26 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:10 a.m., 6:34 p.m.
Greenport: 7:39 a.m., 8:03 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:29 a.m., 8:53 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:34 a.m., 7:58 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:01 a.m., 9:25 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:08 a.m., 9:32 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:09 a.m., 6:25 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:18 a.m., 4:34 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.