This Morning’s Bulletin — 1.19.22
• We’re expecting partly sunny skies today, with a high temperature near 45. degrees but wind chill values between 15 and 25 early, with a light southwest wind increasing to 13 to 18 miles per hour, gusting as high as 28 mph. Clouds will increase overnight, with a low around 34 and rain likely, mainly after 5 a.m. We’re expecting rain early Thursday, turning to snow as the temperature falls throughout the day, with new snow accumulation likely to be less than one inch. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 26.
• The East Hampton Town Board is slated to vote Thursday, Jan. 20 on a measure to “deactivate” its town-owned airport in Wainscott in late February, reopening a “new, publicly owned, private-use airport” at the site in early March, announced East Hampton Town Supervisor Peter Van Scoyoc on Tuesday, Jan. 18. Read our full story.
• “We all need to accept our own reliance upon community, if we are in fact going to give to our community.” So says Beacon columnist Dave Davis in his column this month, “Without A Community.
• The Riverhead Town Board will hold public hearings on three leases on Riverhead Water District property for use by Dish Wireless at its 6 p.m. regular meeting this afternoon. Here’s the agenda, and the meeting can be viewed live here.
• The Southampton History Museum hosts a Zoom presentation on “Tianna Lifesavers of Color: 1942-1944” about the segregated lifesaving station at Tiana Beach in Hampton Bays, tomorrow morning, Jan. 20 at 11 a.m. Here’s how to register.
• Suffolk County reported 1,426 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, Jan. 17, with 14.4 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 966 hospitalized people who had the virus, with 131 of them in ICU. The county reported 17 new fatalities from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 4,047 people since March of 2020.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:46 a.m., 11:14 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:54 a.m., 10:22 p.m.
Greenport: 11:23 a.m., 11:51 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:06 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:18 a.m., 11:46 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:32 a.m., 12:45 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:39 a.m., 12:52 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:36 a.m., 10:12 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:45 a.m., 8:21 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:23 a.m., 11:54 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:31 a.m., 11:02 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:36 a.m., 12:44 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:55 a.m.
New Suffolk: 1:13 a.m., 1:22 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:20 a.m., 1:29 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:11 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:20 a.m., 9 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.