• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 68 degrees and a northeast wind 9 to 13 miles per hour. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 45. Thursday and Friday will both be sunny, with a high near 70.
• After decades of haphazard mooring practices outside Sag Harbor’s breakwater New York State has just granted the village the authority to regulate mooring in waters beyond the village’s current jurisdiction. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Greenport Village is looking for candidates for one vacancy on the village’s Zoning Board of Appeals and one vacancy on the village’s Housing Authority. Applications for the ZBA position are due by the close of business on Oct. 13 and applications for the Housing Authority position are due by the close of business on Oct. 20. Both positions are unsalaried and open to residents of the village.
• Novelist, poet and short story writer Kim Addonizio headlines the first Writers Speak Wednesdays discussion of the fall semester tonight at Stony Brook Southampton. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and her talk will begin at 7 p.m. More information is online here. [Free]
• Out in the natural world, the East Hampton Trails Preservation Society is hosting its first hike of the seal haulout season on the Seal Haulout Trail in Montauk tomorrow, Oct. 6 at 10 a.m. More information is online here. [Free]
• Also tomorrow, the Long Island Native Plant Initiative is joining up with several environmental agencies to launch the first of three pitch pine cone harvesting gatherings in the Central Pine Barrens. Volunteers will meet tomorrow, Oct. 6 at Hubbard County Park in Hampton Bays from 1 to 4 p.m. More information is online here.
• Southampton residents, you have just two days left to respond to a survey about what you’d like to see at the ocean beach facilities at Ponquogue Beach in Hampton Bays. The survey, which closes Oct. 7, is online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 12:18 a.m., 12:37 p.m.
Orient: 1:19 a.m., 1:38 p.m.
Greenport: 1:47 a.m., 2:06 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 1:42 a.m., 2:01 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 3:09 a.m., 3:28 p.m.
S. JPT: 3:16 a.m., 3:35 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:33 a.m., 10:55 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 1:06 a.m., 1:24 p.m.
Orient: 2:07 a.m., 2:25 p.m.
Greenport: 2:35 a.m., 2:53 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 2:30 a.m., 2:48 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 3:57 a.m., 4:15 p.m.
S. JPT: 4:04 a.m., 4:22 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:14 a.m., 11:41 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.