• Today will be sunny, with a high near 64 degrees and a northwest wind 16 to 20 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 31 mph. It will be clear overnight, with a low around 44. Friday will be sunny, with a high near 65 and Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 73.
• Suffolk County reported 109 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Wednesday — this is the first time in months the county has reported more than 100 positive cases in one day, with 1 percent of people tested testing positive. Twenty-four people are currently hospitalized with the virus in the county, with seven of them in ICU. The county reported no new Covid deaths, and the death toll here stands at 2,016.
• In this month’s editorial, we discuss an important reminder for the legacy of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Caregiving matters as much as the corporate boardroom, and there’s still no better way to show that it matters than to show that it can be done by a man. Read it online here, or pick up a copy of our October issue on these newsstands throughout the East End.
• The Southampton Town Board will hold a special meeting this morning at 11 a.m. to set a public hearing on the town’s 2021 budget for Oct. 27 at 6 p.m., followed by a work session at which they’re slated to discuss the draft agenda for the board’s Oct. 13 meeting. The Riverhead Town Board is also slated to hold a work session this morning at 10 a.m. — the agenda is expected to be posted online here.
• Jenifer Maxson, a retired English teacher at the Shelter Island School will bring her new one-woman show “Skin in the Game,” about her realizations regarding her unconscious racism, to the Jamesport Meeting House on Friday, Oct. 23. Here are some details.
• East End Arts’ ARTworks Gala will be streamed live this evening at 6 p.m. Here’s how you can tune in.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:54 a.m., 3:05 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:02 a.m., 2:13 p.m.
Greenport: 3:31 a.m., 3:42 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:11 a.m., 4:17 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:26 a.m., 3:37 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:53 a.m., 5:04 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5 a.m., 5:11 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:41 a.m., 1:37 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:46 a.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:51 a.m., 4:05 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:59 a.m., 3:13 p.m.
Greenport: 4:28 a.m., 4:42 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:04 a.m., 5:14 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:23 a.m., 4:37 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:50 a.m., 6:04 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:57 a.m., 6:11 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:34 a.m., 2:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:43 a.m., 12:42 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.