• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 59 degrees and a west wind 8 to 13 miles per hour. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 40. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 58, and Friday will be sunny, with a high near 59.
• Southold Town has filed a formal complaint with the Federal Aviation Administration over that agency’s decision to extend the mandatory north shore helicopter route for four more years. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Peconic Estuary Program’s Citizens Advisory Committee meets tonight at 6 p.m. at Greenport’s Floyd Memorial Library. The guest speaker will be New York Sea Grant Director Bill Wise, who will discuss menhaden, a.k.a. bunker, the bait fish that have been in our waters in droves the past few years. All are welcome to attend.
• Author Lia Purpura, who has written eight collections of essays, poems, and translations, will be the guest speaker tonight at Stony Brook Southampton’s Writers Speak Wednesdays, which begins with a reception at 6:30 p.m. in the Radio Lounge at Chancellor’s Hall. More details are online here. [Free]
• Members of the Amagansett Writer’s Collective will host a reading of novels in progress the group’s members are working on in honor of National Novel Writing Month this evening, Nov. 16 at 6 p.m. at the Amagansett Free Library. More information is online here. [Free]
• Anthropologist and archaeologist Allison Manfra McGovern will give an illustrated presentation on Montaukett Indian lives at the Suffolk County Historical Museum in Riverhead tomorrow, Nov. 17 at 6 p.m. More details are online here. [$5/Members Free]
• Representatives from Concerned Citizens of Montauk will give a presentation on their “Save the Lake/Save the Pond” campaign tomorrow, Nov. 17 at 6:30 p.m. at the South Fork Natural History Museum in Bridgehampton. More details are online here.
• And tomorrow is also the kickoff of East End Arts’ 30th Annual Harvest Gospel Concert series at Mattituck Presbyterian Church at 8 p.m. The free concert series travels to Southampton High School on Friday, Nov. 18 and to the Friendship Baptist Church in Flanders on Saturday, Nov. 19. All concerts are at 8 p.m. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 9:43 a.m., 10:13 p.m.
Orient: 10:44 a.m., 11:14 p.m.
Greenport: 11:12 a.m., 11:42 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 11:07 a.m., 11:37 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 12:09 a.m., 12:34 p.m.
S. JPT: 12:16 a.m., 12:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:58 a.m., 8:33 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 10:39 a.m., 11:10 p.m.
Orient: 11:40 a.m.
Greenport: 12:08 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 12:03 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 1:04 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
S. JPT: 1:11 a.m., 1:37 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:53 a.m., 9:31 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.