• We’re expecting rain today, mainly after 10 a.m., as a coastal storm moves through the region later today and into the evening. The high temperature will be around 52 degrees. We’re expecting the heaviest rain overnight, with new precipitation amounts between three quarters of an inch and one and three quarters of an inch. East winds will build throughout the day, topping off around 21 miles per hour overnight before swinging over to out of the west after midnight. We’re expecting rain to taper off by 9 a.m. Tuesday, with partly sunny skies and a high near 48. Wednesday will be partly sunny and breezy, with a high near 41.
• From a giant squid to a mysterious team from Australia to a Shelter Island Christmas tree and a great showing from the Carey family, Shelter Islanders in costume made a mad dash for the icy waters off of Crescent Beach Nov 24 for the ninth annual Friends of the Shelter Island Library Turkey Plunge. Our photos are online here.
• The Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association will introduce new Mattituck-Cutchogue School District Superintendent Jill Gierasch and will give an overview of Southold Town’s Comprehensive Plan process at their next meeting this evening, Nov. 26, at 6:30 p.m. at the Mattituck American Legion. More details are online here.
• Today is the last day to subscribe to our monthly print edition to receive our December edition. You can subscribe online here, or pick up a copy on one of more than 70 newsstands throughout the East End.
• The Southampton Arts Center will host a screening of the film “Tribal Justice,” followed by a discussion with Shinnecock Nation leaders on Friday, Nov. 30 at 6 p.m. All are welcome to attend. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:44 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:52 a.m., 11:28 p.m.
Greenport: 12:02 a.m., 12:21 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:03 a.m., 1:16 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:16 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:24 a.m., 1:43 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:31 a.m., 1:50 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:50 a.m., 11:36 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:59 a.m., 9:45 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:20 a.m., 12:41 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:49 a.m.
Greenport: 12:57 a.m., 1:18 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:56 a.m., 2:11 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:52 a.m., 1:13 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:19 a.m., 2:40 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:26 a.m., 2:47 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:49 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:58 a.m., 10:47 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.