• Today will be sunny, with a high near 51 degrees but wind chill values between 25 and 35 early, with a northwest wind 15 to 18 miles per hour, gusting as high as 28. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 20. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 52, and Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 56.
• Hundreds of Shelter Islanders and visitors to The Rock participated in the Friends of the Shelter Island Library’s Turkey Plunge Saturday morning. We were there too! Our pictures are online here.
• The “golden age of documentaries” is certainly here, and the Hamptons Take 2 Documentary Film Festival, opening for its 10th anniversary year this Thursday, is partly responsible and partly benefitting from this golden opportunity. Read our correspondent Kara Westerman’s conversation with HT2FF founder Jacqui Lofaro online here.
• Our environmental reporter Glenn Jochum took a recent trip to Hallock State Park, Riverhead’s newest preserve, to hear about its history and witness its present beauty. You can read his account of the experience online here.
• Today is the last day of our $10/year Beacon print edition subscription sale. Don’t delay in stocking up on subscription stocking stuffers. You can sign up online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:23 a.m., 4:33 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:31 a.m., 3:41 p.m.
Greenport: 5 a.m., 5:10 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:22 a.m., 5:43 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:55 a.m., 5:05 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:22 a.m., 6:32 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:29 a.m., 6:39 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:01 a.m., 1:13 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:12 a.m., 5:24 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:20 a.m., 4:32 p.m.
Greenport: 5:49 a.m., 6:01 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:15 a.m., 6:40 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:44 a.m., 5:56 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:11 a.m., 7:23 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:18 a.m., 7:30 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:53 a.m., 2:09 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.