• We’re expecting showers and patchy fog before 10 a.m. today and a high near 56 degrees. We’re expecting rain before 9 p.m. this evening, then showers between 9 p.m. and 3 a.m. There’s a slight chance of showers before noon on Thursday, but otherwise it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 51 degrees and a west wind at 14 to 22 miles per hour. Friday is expected to be sunny, with a high near 46 degrees.
• The hamlet of Springs in East Hampton will be seeing major road improvements in 2017, after Suffolk County Legislator Jay Schneiderman helped secure planning funds of $750,000 Springs/Fireplace Road and $550,000 for Three Mile Harbor Road for resurfacing and drainage improvements. The work on the two main roads in Springs, which is expected to begin in 2017, is estimated by the county Department of Public Works to cost $6.5 million for Springs/Fireplace Road and $5.5 million for Three Mile Harbor Road.
• Author Willie Perdomo, who wrote the National Book Critics Circle Award finalist “The Essential Hits of Shorty Bon Bon,” will be the guest speaker tonight at Stony Brook Southampton’s Writers Speak Wednesdays at Chancellor’s Hall. More information is online here.
• The eighth annual Hamptons Take 2 Documentary Film Festival kicks off tomorrow, Dec. 3, promising four days and 30 films in an event whose mantra has become “all docs, all day.” Our recap of the weekend’s films is available online here.
• The Peconic Estuary Program is hosting its first-ever Penguin Plunge, a free polar bear club-style event at Cedar Beach in Southold, this Saturday, Dec. 5 at noon. Participants will also have a chance to learn about the goings-on at Cornell Cooperative Extension’s marine center at Cedar Beach. More information is online here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.