This Morning’s Bulletin — 12.16.15
• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 48 degrees and a north wind 5 to 10 miles per hour, becoming east in the afternoon. There’s a 30 percent chance of drizzle or light rain after midnight tonight. Rain is in the forecast for Thursday, mostly in the afternoon, and we’re also expecting patchy fog. The high Thursday will be near 57 degrees and we’re expecting between a quarter and a half inch of rain. Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 53 degrees and a 40 percent chance of showers.
• The Suffolk County Health Department is asking the public to avoid contact with the tidal water in the Peconic River east of Grangebel Park in Riverhead, after inadequately treated water was released from the Riverhead Sewage Treatment Plant. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• When Southold Town agreed to buy Julia Sills’ 24-acre homestead near Pipes Cove in Greenport five years ago, they put in place the final piece of the town’s network of 600 acres of preserved land surrounding the cove. Now, Ms. Sills’ house could possibly become a nature center. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board unanimously voted yesterday to approve a new rental registry that would require landlords to register the homes they rent with the town as of May 1 of 2016. The Beacon’s full story will be online later this morning.
• The Jamesport-South Jamesport Civic Association is hosting a member and friends meeting this Saturday, Dec. 19, to discuss the unprecedented amount of development proposed for the Jamesport area. The meeting will be held in the Jamesport Meeting House beginning at 9:30 a.m., with light refreshments and followed with the meeting at 10 a.m.
• The retired New York City fire boat Fire Fighter, which worked to douse the flames of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 and is now a floating museum in Greenport, has just released a very cool video about their work, which you can watch below:
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.