• We’re expecting skies to clear throughout the day, becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 43 degrees and a west wind 13 to 18 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 28 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 26. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 37, and Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 40.
• On Tuesday, Dec. 11, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security held a christening ceremony for the new passenger ferry that will support the Plum Island Animal Disease Center. The staff at Plum Island overwhelmingly chose to name the new ferry after Edward Kramer, a Southold resident and employee who worked at Plum Island for more than 60 years until his passing in 2015. More than 40 members of the Kramer family travelled from across the nation to Plum Islandfor a ceremony honoring Mr. Kramer’s memory and an official christening led by his widow, Alice Kramer.
• A century-old mystery off the Long Island shore has been solved by the U.S. Navy. The USS San Diego, an armored cruiser scheduled in the summer of 1918 to escort a convoy across the Atlantic Ocean to assist Allies in the fighting of World War I, was sunk after an explosion just off the shore of Fire Island, where it remains to this day, a prime wreck diving spot. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Israeli Philharmonic Orchestra will perform a special free concert at Peconic Landing tomorrow afternoon, Dec. 18 at 3 p.m. More details are online here.
• Pierson High School and Suffolk County Legislator Bridget Fleming are teaming up for a NARCAN opioid antidote administration workshop and a drug take back event tomorrow, Dec. 18 at 6 p.m. at Bridgehampton’s Hampton Library. For more details on this free event, call Ms. Fleming’s office at 631.852.8400.
• The Beacon’s Holiday Subscription Sale is in full force — subscribe here to our print edition for half price throughout the month of December.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:27 a.m., 5:41 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:35 a.m., 4:49 p.m.
Greenport: 6:04 a.m., 6:18 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:27 a.m., 6:55 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:59 a.m., 6:13 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:26 a.m., 7:40 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:33 a.m., 7:47 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:57 a.m., 4:14 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:06 a.m., 2:23 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:10 a.m., 6:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:18 a.m., 5:35 p.m.
Greenport: 6:47 a.m., 7:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:17 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:42 a.m., 6:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:09 a.m., 8:29 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:16 a.m., 8:33 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:49 a.m., 5:11 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:58 a.m., 3:20 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.