• Today will be sunny, with a high near 41 degrees but wind chill values between 10 and 20, with a west wind 5 to 10 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 27. We’re expecting increasing clouds on Thursday, with a high near 48. We’re expecting rain before noon Friday, then showers after noon, with a steady temperature around 57.
• The Southold Town Board unanimously approved approved a new rental permit code at its meeting last night, which would require landlords to have a certificate of occupancy and meet safety requirements and be issued a rental permit before they can rent out their property. The town will begin enforcing the law in August of 2019. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The East End is now a New York State Heritage Area, paving the way for extra state funds to encourage visitors to enjoy the beauty of this place. Read more in The Beacon’s sister publication, the Peconic Bathtub.
• Tickets are running out for the Ecological Culture Initiative’s Winter Solstice Dinner tomorrow evening at St. Joseph’s Villa in Hampton Bays. More details are online here. [$45]
• North Fork actors Jere Jacob and Thomas DeWolfe present a special dramatic performance of Truman Capote’s “A Christmas Memory” at the Floyd Memorial Library tomorrow, Dec. 20 at 6 p.m. More details are online here.
• The North Fork Community Theatre has announced that it has received an additional $25,000 in matching donations from longtime donors Michael and Emilie Corey, bringing their total matching funds to $65,000, to help with the theater renovations currently underway. To date, they’ve raised $23,000 toward the match. You can make a donation online here or see photos of the progress of the renovation on Facebook.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:10 a.m., 6:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:18 a.m., 5:35 p.m.
Greenport: 6:47 a.m., 7:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:17 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:42 a.m., 6:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:09 a.m., 8:26 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:16 a.m., 8:33 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:49 a.m., 5:11 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:58 a.m., 3:20 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:51 a.m., 7:10 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:59 a.m., 6:18 p.m.
Greenport: 7:28 a.m., 7:47 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:05 a.m., 8:38 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:23 a.m., 7:42 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:50 a.m., 9:09 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:57 a.m., 9:16 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:41 a.m., 6:07 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:50 a.m., 4:16 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today