Good Morning, and hopefully a good end to 2015 to you!
• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 48 degrees and a northwest wind 7 to 14 miles per hour. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 28. New Year’s Day will be sunny, with a high near 43. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 40, and Sunday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 43.
• If you’re planning on paying your property taxes before the end of the year, take note, several East End town offices are closing early today. While Shelter Island and Riverhead town offices will be open all day, Southold is closing at 11:30 a.m. and Southampton and East Hampton will be closing at noon.
• East Hampton Town began accepting property tax payments on their website earlier this month, online here. Southampton Town already accepts property tax payments online here and Southold accepts tax payments online here. Riverhead Town accepts tax payments online here.
• Riverhead Town is spending a busy new year. They have a special meeting scheduled for this morning at 9:30 a.m., at which they’re expected to vote on an expanded Freak Out Let’s Dance festival at Martha Clara Vineyards next August. Their full list of resolutions is online here. The meeting will be followed by a 10 a.m. work session to discuss recreation fees and work schedules. Riverhead Town will also hold its Inauguration Ceremony at Town Hall on January 1 at 11 a.m.
• Southold Town will also hold a special inauguration event on Monday, Jan. 4 at 11 a.m. in the Peconic Lane Community Center auditorium (in the former Peconic School at 1170 Peconic Lane in Peconic), followed by a social hour and refreshments.
• South Fork towns are combining their swearing in ceremonies with their Jan. 5 town board meetings. Southampton Town will hold a ceremony to swear in board members on Jan. 5 at noon in the main town meeting room, just before their 1 p.m. organizational meeting. East Hampton Town will hold a swearing in ceremony before their work session at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 5 in the town hall meeting room.
• East End libraries and cinemas are prepping for a warm winter filled with film viewing. Our film listings for the weeks ahead are online here.
Here’s to 2015! We start anew tomorrow!
“Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, “It will be happier.” — Alfred Lord Tennyson