• Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 44 but wind chill values between 25 and 35, with a west wind 15 to 20 miles per hour. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 28.Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 39, and Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 34.
• A large crowd of Greenport residents asked Southold Town Police to look into making the town a sanctuary city at a forum with the police Monday night, at which many people shared concerns based on past immigration raids in the village and the current national uncertainty over immigrant rights under the Trump administration. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Congressman Lee Zeldin announced Tuesday that he has joined the Bipartisan Working Group, a group of Republican and Democratic members of Congress who are dedicated to working together to advance bipartisan legislation and foster dialogue between both sides of the aisle. The group requires an invitation to join.
“In Congress, I have always been willing to work with absolutely anyone to better our community, state and nation,” said Mr. Zeldin. “As a member of the Bipartisan Working Group, I will continue working to advance my New Era of American Strength agenda, which includes protecting America’s security at home and abroad, helping grow our economy and create more good paying jobs, supporting our veterans and first responders, improving the quality of education, repairing our nation’s infrastructure, improving healthcare in America and safeguarding our environment.”
• Southold Town’s Board of Assessors will be available at the town’s Human Resource Center, 750 Pacific Street in Mattituck this morning, Feb. 1 from 10 a.m. to noon to assist senior citizens with their exemption applications. Please feel free to contact the Assessors’ Office with any questions at 631.765.1937.
• East End Arts and Peconic Landing will host a special screening of “Under African Skies,” which chronicles Paul Simon’s return to South Africa to explore the journey of his Grammy Award-winning Graceland album, followed by a question and answer session with bassist Bakithi Kumalo, who is featured in the documentary and on the Graceland album this Saturday, Feb. 4 at 4 p.m. at Peconic Landing. More details are online here.
• The Southampton Town Youth Bureau is seeking to partner with local community businesses for their annual job and internship fair at town hall on Friday, March 31 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. If you are in need of summer or year round staff or can provided a learning opportunity for interns, the town encourages you to participate in this free job fair. For more information or to obtain a registration form, call 631.702.2421 or download a registration form at www.southamptontownny.gov/
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 11:56 a.m.
Orient: 12:41 a.m., 12:57 p.m.
Greenport: 1:09 a.m., 1:25 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 1:04 a.m., 1:20 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 2:31 a.m., 2:47 p.m.
S. JPT: 2:38 a.m., 2:54 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:03 a.m., 10:34 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 12:28 a.m., 12:46 p.m.
Orient: 1:29 a.m., 1:47 p.m.
Greenport: 1:57 a.m., 2:15 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 1:52 a.m., 2:10 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 3:19 a.m., 3:37 p.m.
S. JPT: 3:26 a.m., 3:44 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:57 a.m., 11:29 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.