• There’s a 20 percent chance of rain before 8 a.m. today, with skies gradually clearing and a steady temperature around 41. The wind will be out of the west at 15 to 22 miles per hour, gusting as high as 38. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 27. Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 43. We’re expecting rain likely after noon on Friday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 49.
• Polystyrene packaging bans are going into effect in both Southampton and East Hampton towns, after the Southampton Town Board voted unanimously to approve a ban Tuesday afternoon. East Hampton’s ban will go into effect April 22 and Southampton’s will go into effect May 8.
• Riverhead Town Supervisor Laura Jens-Smith’s listening tour of the town will continue this evening with a session at the Riverhead Free Library at 6 p.m. Last night’s meeting in Wading River was cancelled due to inclement weather. We’ll have the details when it’s rescheduled.
• Our Peconic Dish columnist, Alison Boyd, has some delicious recipes for us this week, incorporating blood oranges into a delicious salad and upside down cake that are bound to wow your Valentine.
• The centerfold of the print edition of the East End Beacon has always been a love letter to the Peconic Estuary. This week, the National Estuary Program embarks on its annual Valentine to estuaries, the #iheartestuaries campaign. Help us join in! Get the details in The Peconic Bathtub.
• The Southold Town Anti-Bias Task Force has announced that its annual Synergy conversation between the community and the police will be held on Thursday, March 28 at 6 p.m. at the Peconic Lane Recreation Center. All are welcome to attend.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:44 a.m., 4:15 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:52 a.m., 3:23 p.m.
Greenport: 4:21 a.m., 4:52 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:56 a.m., 5:38 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:16 a.m., 4:47 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:43 a.m., 6:14 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:50 a.m., 6:21 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:21 a.m., 2:56 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:30 a.m., 1:05 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:47 a.m., 5:17 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:55 a.m., 4:25 p.m.
Greenport: 5:24 a.m., 5:54 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:57 a.m., 6:42 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:19 a.m., 5:49 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:46 a.m., 7:16 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:53 a.m., 7:23 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:21 a.m., 4:02 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:30 a.m., 2:11 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.