• Today will be sunny, with a high near 38 but wind chill values between 15 and 25, with a northwest wind 10 to 17 miles per hour. We’re expecting increasing clouds overnight, with a low around 26. Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 52, and Sunday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 54.
• Immigrants and activists showed solidarity in downtown Hampton Bays on Thursday, Feb. 16, as part of ‘A Day Without Immigrants,’ a nationwide strike in support of immigrant rights, in which many immigrant workers stayed home from work in protest of increased immigration enforcement under the Trump administration. See video of our coverage online here.
• East Hampton Town Supervisor Larry Cantwell, the son of immigrants who was raised in East Hampton, pledged Thursday night to not participate in President Donald Trump’s executive order allowing local police departments to serve as immigration officers. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• A 42-acre piece of land in Jamesport known to contain the cremains of ancient Long Island residents is slated to be preserved by Suffolk County. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Greenport Fire Department’s 172nd Annual President’s Day Parade is tomorrow, Feb. 18 at 1 p.m., and the weather is looking like it might cooperate this year. More details are online here.
• The East End is hosting several African-American History Month events this weekend, including a discussion on African-American female scientists contributions by Marjorie Day at Peconic Landing tomorrow, Feb. 18 at 5 p.m. and a discussion of preservation of the Pyrrhus Concer house in Southampton tomorrow afternoon, Feb. 18 at 1 p.m. at the Suffolk County Historical Museum in Riverhead. More details on these events are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Find out all the details in our Events Calendar, online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 1:18 a.m., 1:43 p.m.
Orient: 2:19 a.m., 2:44 p.m.
Greenport: 2:47 a.m., 3:12 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 2:42 a.m., 3:07 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 4:09 a.m., 4:34 p.m.
S. JPT: 4:16 a.m., 4:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:42 a.m.
MTK Hbr: 2:15 a.m., 2:43 p.m.
Orient: 3:16 a.m., 3:44 p.m.
Greenport: 3:44 a.m., 4:12 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 3:39 a.m., 4:07 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 5:06 a.m., 5:34 p.m.
S. JPT: 5:13 a.m., 5:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:14 a.m., 12:30 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.