• We’re expecting rain all day today, with a high near 57 degrees and an east wind 11 to 15 miles per hour, becoming southeast in the afternoon. We might see a thunderstorm tonight as the rain continues, with a steady temperature around 52 degrees and a south wind 22 to 28 miles per hour overnight. The wind moves over to the southwest at 18 to 26 miles per hour on Thursday, as the rain tapers off and the temperature drops to around 48 by 5 p.m. Friday will be mostly sunny and breezy, with a high near 38.
• Riverside Rediscovered, the community group formed as part of the effort afoot to redevelop the Southampton hamlet of Riverside, is hosting a discussion next Tuesday, March 1 on what can be done to address crime, addiction and violence in the community. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Southold Town is mulling hosting a parking ticket amnesty month in May, upgrading its police department dispatch room and allowing the Old Town Arts & Crafts Guild to hold programs at the town’s Peconic community buildings. The Beacon’s full report on their Feb. 23 discussions is online here.
• Southampton Town announced yesterday that Pin High Golf Management LLC will be taking charge of operations and maintenance at the Poxabogue Golf Center as of March 1. The team is led by Steve Feder who has over 25 years of municipal golf operations and golf instruction experience, and has been a “Class A” member of the PGA for over 20 years. Former Poxabogue manager Steven Lee was fired last fall after he was arrested for allegedly taking an inappropriate photo of an underage girl at the golf course and sharing it with employees there.
• Peconic Landing will again be hosting Community Action Southold Town’s annual Have-A-Heart dinner to benefit CAST’s Winter Emergency Fund this Friday, Feb. 26, with two seatings, at 5 and 7 p.m. Tickets are $25 for adults and $10 for children ages 12 and under. Seating is limited. Call CAST for reservations at 631.477.1717. More information is online here.
• The Friends of the Big Duck are having their first 1-2-3 fundraiser at the Flanders Mens Club onSaturday February 27th, from 7-11. $15.00. There will be a DJ, appetizers and a cash bar. Call Fran for tickets at 631.727.5342. More information is online here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.