• We’re expecting increasing clouds throughout the day today, with a high near 49 degrees. Heavy weather moves into the region later this evening, with heavy rain overnight and overnight temps rising to 57 by 5 a.m. Friday. We will be under a flood watch and a wind advisory from 1 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, with a coastal flood watch also in effect Friday morning from 6 to 11 a.m., with widespread minor coastal flooding with tidal departures of 1.5 to 2 feet above normal during the morning high tide cycle. We’re expecting 2.5 to 3 inches of rain before the storm tapers off early Saturday, with temperatures near 60 during the day Friday, falling to 47 degrees Friday night. Winds will be out of the southeast early, switching over to the south and building to 20 to 25 miles per hour throughout the day Friday. Showers are expected to taper off Saturday morning, with mostly cloudy skies Saturday and the temperature falling to around 43 by 4 p.m. Winds Saturday will be out of the southwest, switching to the west at 11 to 21 miles per hour, gusting as high as 34.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:30 a.m., 7:53 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:38 a.m., 7:01 p.m.
Greenport: 8:07 a.m., 8:30 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:53 a.m., 9:28 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:02 a.m., 8:25 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:29 a.m., 9:52 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:36 a.m., 9:59 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:31 a.m., 7 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:40 a.m., 5:09 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:12 a.m., 8:37 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:20 a.m., 7:45 p.m.
Greenport: 8:49 a.m., 9:14 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:41 a.m., 10:16 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:44 a.m., 9:09 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:11 a.m., 10:36 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:18 a.m., 10:43 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:20 a.m., 7:50 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:29 a.m., 5:59 p.m.
• New York State unveiled its Regional Economic Development Grant awards for 2018 on Tuesday, which include a bevy of East End projects, with grants totaling tens of millions of dollars. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss the Shinnecock Maritime Project at their 10 a.m. work session at town hall this morning, followed by a regular meeting at 11 a.m. at which they expect to hold a public hearing on changes to the affordable housing code throughout town.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss code changes and lighting downtown, as well as recycling issues in Suffolk County, at their 10 a.m. work session this morning.
• The East Hampton Town Board meets at 6:30 p.m. this evening. Their agenda is expected to be posted here.
• North Fork actors Jere Jacob and Thomas DeWolfe present a special dramatic performance of Truman Capote’s “A Christmas Memory” at the Floyd Memorial Library this evening, Dec. 20 at 6 p.m. More details are online here. [Free]
• The Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor is hosting a community reading of Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol,” along with caroling, this evening at 7 p.m. The event is free but donations to the theater are accepted.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.