• There’s a 40 percent chance of showers before noon today, with patchy fog before 9 a.m. We’re expecting gradually clearing skies throughout the day, with a high near 54 degrees and a south wind 7 to 12 miles per hour, becoming west 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 21. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 35, and Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 37.
• For seven weeks beginning tomorrow, artists will take over the Southampton Arts Center, turning its galleries into a web of pop-up studios, where visitors can watch them work or come by for a series of Thursday night hang-outs, playing ping-pong and listening to music as they discuss the methods and madness that make great art. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Progressive groups from throughout the East End are holding a forum on “A Healthier New York for ALL” tomorrow, Feb. 9 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Drew Lecture Hall at Stony Brook University’s Southampton Campus. More details are online here.
• The Long Island Regional Seed Consortium will hold a seed swap tomorrow, Feb. 9, from noon to 4 p.m., at the Long Island Buddhist Meditation Center’s Center for Ethical Biodiversity in Riverhead. More details are online here.
• Beacon Editor & Publisher Beth Young will be talking about this week’s news on the Media Mavens with Bonnie Grice at 88.3 WPPB this morning at 9 a.m. Tune in!
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:10 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:18 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Greenport: 12:33 a.m., 12:47 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:14 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:28 a.m., 12:42 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:55 a.m., 2:09 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:02 a.m., 2:16 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:04 a.m., 11:27 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:13 a.m., 9:36 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:37, 12:49 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:57 a.m.
Greenport: 1:14 a.m., 1:26 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:51 a.m., 2:10 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:09 a.m., 1:21 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:36 a.m., 2:48 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:43 a.m., 2:55 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:41 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:50 a.m., 10:13 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.