This Morning’s Bulletin — 3.12.21
• There’s a 30 percent chance of showers today, mainly before 7 a.m., with gradually clearing skies and a high near 62 degrees, with a west wind 8 to 11 miles per hour. It will be clear overnight, with a low around 29. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 45 and Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 48.
• History has shown on multiple occasions that, for a democracy to work, it isn’t absolutely necessary for those on each side of the political spectrum to be completely empathetic to the other’s often “entrenched” positions on issues. What we do need is respectful dialogue. Read more in this month’s Dave’s Desk@Ditch.
• Suffolk County reported 565 new cases of Covid-19 on Wednesday, March 10, with 3.5 percent of the people tested testing positive. There were 395 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 71 of them in ICU and 23 percent of hospital beds available. The county reported 9 new fatalities from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 3,145 people.
• As of Wednesday, 292,242 people had received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine in Suffolk, or 19.7 percent of the population, and 152,780 residents are fully vaccinated.
• The Tanger Outlets in Riverhead play host to a New York Blood Center blood drive this afternoon from 1 to 7 p.m. in Suite 301. Appointments are recommended, online here.
• The Hamptons Arts Network’s annual Thaw Fest, with events virtually at 15 member arts organizations throughout the South Fork continues this weekend. Here’s the schedule.
• The Parrish Art Museum presents a virtual tour of its 2021 Student Exhibition this evening at 5 p.m. Parrish Education Director Cara Conklin-Wingfield and participating educators to discuss the adjustments and challenges of teaching during the 2020-21 school year. Register online at parrishart.org.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9 a.m., 9:17 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:08 a.m., 8:25 p.m.
Greenport: 9:37 a.m., 9:54 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:38 a.m., 10:59 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:32 a.m., 9:49 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:59 a.m., 11:16 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:06 a.m., 11:23 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:15 a.m., 8:39 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:24 a.m., 6:48 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:41 a.m., 9:59 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:49 a.m., 9:07 p.m.
Greenport: 10:18 a.m., 10:36 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:20 a.m., 11:38 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:13 a.m., 10:31 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:40 a.m., 11:58 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:47 a.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:55 a.m., 9:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:04 a.m., 7:27 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.