• Today will be sunny, with a high near 33 degrees but wind chill values between 5 and 15, with a northwest wind 16 to 20 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 15. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 38 and Wednesday will be cloudy, with a high near 44.
• As you’re reading this, the seasonal markers are returning for a year of mourning since the beginning of the pandemic. This month is bound to be cathartic and heartrending for many of us. As we brace for this this solemn anniversary, we also know that there is new life ahead. We had briefly tamed the pandemic last summer, and by the summer ahead, we’re expecting widespread vaccination and to finally whip the community spread of this virus. A lot could still go wrong, but there is hope. Read more in this month’s editorial, The New Renaissance.
• The Hamptons Arts Network, a consortium of 21 arts organizations on the South Fork, has brought an innovative touch to its fourth annual spring “Thaw Fest,” which instead of for just one weekend has this year been spread over the course of the next month, as the weather warms and we begin to venture back out into the world. Here’s our full story.
• Suffolk County reported 512 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, with 4.1 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 379 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 72 of them in ICU and 25 percent of hospital beds available. The county reported three new fatalities, bringing the Covid-19 death toll here to 3,158 people.
• As of Saturday, 313,707 Suffolk residents had received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, or 21.2 percent of the countywide population of about 1.5 million people. In total, 166,781 Suffolk residents have been fully vaccinated.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:03 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:11 a.m., 11:29 p.m.
Greenport: 12:17 a.m., 12:40 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:15 a.m., 1:38 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:12 a.m., 12:35 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:39 a.m., 2:02 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:46 a.m., 2:09 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:13 a.m., 11:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:22 a.m., 9:42 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:21 a.m., 12:46 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:54 a.m.
Greenport: 12:58 a.m., 1:23 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:51 a.m., 2:17 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:53 a.m., 1:18 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:20 a.m., 2:45 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:27 a.m., 2:52 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:52 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:01 a.m., 10:18 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.