Waiting for bud break.
Waiting for bud break.

Good Morning!

• We’re expecting a 20 percent chance of showers after 3 p.m. today, with areas of fog before 9 a.m. Otherwise, it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 56 and calm winds. There’s a 60 percent chance of showers overnight. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers after noon Thursday, but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 57. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers Friday, but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 51.

• A $35 million long-term loan from the New York State Environmental Facilities Corporation could be the key to the future of the blighted Southampton hamlet of Riverside, whose business center has struggled for years do to the lack of adequate sewage treatment. The Beacon’s exclusive report is online here.

• The Southampton Town Trustees hold a work session this afternoon at 3 p.m. Their agenda will be online here when it is available. The town trustees are in the midst of a heated public debate over whether they have jurisdiction over beach driving permits in incorporated villages, and a change.org petition in support of the trustees’ continued jurisdiction over beach driving had garnered more than 700 signatures as of Tuesday evening.

• The U.S. Small Business Administration has reopened the application filing period for Superstorm Sandy survivors, making federal disaster loans available until Dec. 1, 2016. The low-interest loans are available to small businesses, most private nonprofit organizations and homeowners and renters in New York. The loan application is online here.

• The Second Annual Suffolk County Marathon and Freedom Fest will be held on Oct. 30, 2016, the Suffolk County Executive’s Office announced on Tuesday. This year, there will be a 5K race as well as the marathon and half marathon. Registration for the race is open online here.

• Renewable Energy Long Island will hold a Long Island Wind Energy Forum this Saturday, March 19 from 10 a.m. to noon in the East Hampton Middle School Auditorium. All are welcome to attend. More information is online here.

• There’s still time to register for the Long Island Natural History Conference at Brookhaven National Laboratory this Friday and Saturday.Topics for discussion will include the southern pine beetle infestation on Long Island, rare birds on Great Gull Island, exotic invasive plants, shellfish restoration in the Great South Bay, eelgrass restoration, sharks in local waters and climate change. More information is online here.

• Egg hunt season is upon us! Our East End Easter Egg Hunt schedule is online here.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

 




Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: