Good Morning, and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
• We’re expecting isolated sprinkles before 9 a.m. today, with mostly cloudy skies and a high temperature near 48 degrees. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 35. Rain is likely Thursday, mainly after 2 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 51. We’re expecting rain and snow on Friday, mainly before 10 a.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 41.
• The New York State Covid-19 mass vaccination site scheduled to open at Stony Brook Southampton College will begin operating this Friday, March 19, along with other mass vaccination sites at Old Westbury and Brentwood. Appointments will be available beginning this morning, March 17 at 8 a.m. on the state’s mass vaccination site scheduling site or by calling 1.833.NYS.4.VAX.
• East Hampton Town has made the final payment on $21.2 million in deficit financing issued 10 years ago when the town was in the depths of a financial quagmire during which it had raided its Community Preservation Fund to pay its operating expenses. Read More.
• In this month’s installment of Climate Local Now, Mary Morgan talks about the role of the oyster in protecting our bays, combatting climate change and building the local economy. Read more here.
• Suffolk County reported 652 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, with 5.6 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 401 people hospitalized with the virus, with 77 of them in ICU and 24 percent of hospital beds filled. The county reported eight new fatalities, bringing the death toll here to 3,170 people.
• The Southold Town Board will hold two virtual public input/informational meetings on its Southold Town Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative Plan both this evening and March 24 at 7 p.m. The plan can be viewed online here, the Zoom link for the March 17 hearing is online here and the Zoom link for the March 24 hearing is online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:03 a.m., 1:29 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:11 a.m., 12:37 p.m.
Greenport: 1:40 a.m., 2:06 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:27 a.m., 2:57 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:35 a.m., 2:01 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:02 a.m., 3:28 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:09 a.m., 3:35 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:09 a.m., 12:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:42 a.m., 10:54 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:47 a.m., 2:!5 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:55 a.m., 1:23 p.m.
Greenport: 2:24 a.m., 2:52 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:05 a.m., 3:39 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:19 a.m., 2:47 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:46 a.m., 4:14 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:53 a.m., 4:21 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:45 a.m., 1:16 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:25 a.m., 11:31 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.