• We are under a wind advisory until 8 p.m., as a strong storm passes Long Island out at sea. There will be sustained winds of 20 to 30 miles per hour with gusts of up to 50 mph, but we’re expecting less than an inch of snow, if any, to fall over our area.
• County Executive Steve Bellone announced yesterday that his water quality initiative, outlined in his State of the County Address earlier this month, is the recipient of a grant from IBM’s Smarter Cities Challenge. IBM’s Smarter Cities Challenge is a competitive grant program that sends teams of experts to select cities and regions worldwide to provide pro bono consulting expertise on critical issues that the areas face.
• The new East Hampton Arts Council is holding a kickoff meet-and-greet with artists from throughout the East End at Ashawagh Hall in Springs this evening. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Two public forums on the future of downtown Riverhead are being held in the old Swezey’s Building on Main Street today. The first will be held from 3 to 5 p.m. and the second will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. More information is online here.
• A new summer farmers market is being planned for Mattituck. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.