• There’s a 30 percent chance of light rain today, mainly before 2 p.m., but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 49 and a southwest wind 3 to 6 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 36. Thursday will be cloudy, with a high near 53 and a slight chance of sprinkles. Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 56 degrees and a 30 percent chance of showers.
• Members of the Long Island Buddhist Meditation Center, which recently moved into the old Grange Hall in Northville, rescued four calves due to be slaughtered last week, giving them a new life at the Indraloka Animal Sanctuary in Pennsylvania. The Beacon was there for their send-off. Read our story online here.
• Southampton Town announced Tuesday, March 27 that it was awarded $1 million as part of Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Restore New York Communities Initiative to help revitalize Riverside. More details are online here.
• Spring is really here. Get your garden soil ready with Beacon columnist Susan Tito’s Gardenwise tips.
• Greenport’s Stirling Historical Society will be holding its Annual Fish and Chicken Dinner tomorrow, Wednesday, March 28, from noon to 8 p.m. at Townsend Manor Inn. This fundraising dinner – which includes salad, scallops of chicken, vegetable, potato, coffee and dessert for $25 – supports the programs and exhibitions of the society. More details are online here.
• Now that the ospreys have returned from their winter trip to South America, it’s time to start searching the East End’s streams for alewives swimming up river to spawn. Read our account from a couple years back to learn about what local citizen scientists are doing to help document the alewives’ return.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:04 a.m., 8:25 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:12 a.m., 7:33 p.m.
Greenport: 8:41 a.m., 9:02 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:33 a.m., 10:03 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:36 a.m., 8:57 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:03 a.m., 10:24 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:10 a.m., 10:31 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:18 a.m., 5:54 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:54 a.m., 9:13 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:02 a.m., 8:21 p.m.
Greenport: 9:31 a.m., 9:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:28 a.m., 10:54 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:26 a.m., 9:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:53 a.m., 11:12 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11 a.m., 11:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:14 a.m., 6:46 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.